Re: [mythsoc] Myth and religion in LOTR

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001
      From: Grace E. Funk
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 1:16 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Myth and religion in LOTR

      A friend of mine has decided to celeberate the release of the Fellowship

      of the Ring film in December by holding a study group on the
      significances of myth and religion in the books. He has invited me to
      participate. Can any of you suggest essays or other commentaries related

      to the topic?

      The first essay that came to mind was Verlyn Flieger's "Missing Person," regarding Christ figures in LotR. It was published in Mythlore, probably about 1985.

      As I was hunting through bound Mythlores in the library for that article, I ran across one by Catherine Madsen that might be useful. It's entitled, "Light from an Invisible Lamp: Natural Religion in The Lord of the Rings," and was published in Mythlore #53: Spring 1988, pp. 43-47.

      I never did find "Missing Person" (no pun intended). It was published before I joined the Society and was still reading Mythlore in the library instead of having my own copy. I'd love to order the back issue if anyone has an idea which one it might have been in.

      --Trudy Shaw