???

  • Diane Conner
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 1998
      Hi

      So how exactly do we proceed? Is this a private on-line discussion group?

      Diane Conner
      San Diego, CA, USA
    • Tom & Maria T
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 1998
        Hi, Diane,
        Got January 1999 "Mythprint" monthly bulletin yesterday. Pg. 4 states all society members are invited to discuss Mythopoeic Award nominations. Do you have a favorite 1998 work, fiction or non-fiction? I guess that's where we're encouraged to begin. Am not current with new Sf and fantasy books. I took the new Legends book out of our village library. Couldn't get interested as several of these stories were continuations of sagas I hadn't read, and since it was a new book, only had a short time. My interest is in stories that begin with the real world, and take off from there, such as, Lewis's Trilogy. Is there anything good in 1998 that blends reality and fantasy?
        Maria Tatham, Weston, OH, USA
        So how exactly do we proceed? Is this a private on-line discussion group?

        Diane Conner
        San Diego, CA, USA
      • Diane Baker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 1999
          Tom & Maria T wrote:

          > Hi, Diane,
          > Got January 1999 "Mythprint" monthly bulletin yesterday. Pg. 4 states
          > all society members are invited to discuss Mythopoeic Award
          > nominations. Do you have a favorite 1998 work, fiction or
          > non-fiction? I guess that's where we're encouraged to begin. Am not
          > current with new Sf and fantasy books. I took the new Legends book
          > out of our village library. Couldn't get interested as several of
          > these stories were continuations of sagas I hadn't read, and since it
          > was a new book, only had a short time. My interest is in stories that
          > begin with the real world, and take off from there, such as, Lewis's
          > Trilogy. Is there anything good in 1998 that blends reality and
          > fantasy?
          > Maria Tatham, Weston, OH, USA

          Hello from a fellow Ohioan! Thought I'd drop you a line on line and ask
          where you are in relation to Cincinnati. Been trying to put together a
          Mythie group in the local area. As for your question, I can't really
          think of anything that begins and ends in the real world. I'd like to
          nominate *Arm of the Stone* for the MFA. Have you read it? ---djb.
        • David Lenander
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 1999
            Responding to the message of <368D4546.182B@...>
            from mythsoc@onelist.com:

            > From: Diane Baker <dianejoy@...>
            >
            > Tom & Maria T wrote:
            [. . . .]
            > > Maria Tatham, Weston, OH, USA
            > >
            > Hello from a fellow Ohioan! Thought I'd drop you a line on line and ask
            > where you are in relation to Cincinnati. Been trying to put together a
            > Mythie group in the local area. [. . . .]

            Yes, there have been (during my tenure as Discussion Groups secretary), people
            interested in starting groups in every major city in Ohio, I think. If only
            they all lived in the same one! Currently, I think we're listing three or so on
            my Activity Calendar web-page. If you don't live close enough to one of the
            existing contact people, consider volunteering to be listed, yourself. Who
            knows, I might even be able to dig out a second person from those old files.

            David Lenander, Library Manager I
            Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
            Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
            Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
            University of Minnesota
            Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

            e-mail: d-lena@...
            web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BirdnBab.html
          • Tom & Maria T
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 1999
              Diane,
              Sorry this response is days late. To answer your question about where
              Weston is: it is a small town, approximately 25 miles s.w. of Toledo.
              No, I haven't read "Arm of the Stone", but will put it on my new reading
              list, with Charles De Lint.
              My reading this year has been classic works: for example, All Hallows'
              Eves, and Williams' book about the Grail (which, curiously, is the only good
              book I can never remember the name of). To be able to talk, I'm going to
              have to catch up.
              Happy New Year!
              Maria Tatham, Weston, OH