Re: Myth and religion in LOTR

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Janet Croft <jbcroft@o...> wrote:
      > One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien
      as poorly
      > written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American
      Prospect"
      > (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind
      Wilson's "Ooh,
      > Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you
      will.

      Yes, but he's also ancient history. I was more interested in recent
      stuff. The Germaine Greer comment is more relevant to what I wanted
      to see.
    • stephen@stephen.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
        Grace -

        I'd suggest starting with Tolkien's own 'On Fairy-Stories' from "Tree and
        Leaf" which can be found in "The Tolkien Reader".

        - Stephen
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001