Re: [mythsoc] Re: Myth and religion in LOTR

  • John C. Meyers
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
      Janet,

      Thanks for the pointers. Of course I already knew about Wilson's famous
      piece, but I don't remember it very well. I guess I'll have to go back
      and read it again. As for Mooney's article, I vaguely recall seeing
      pointers to it here before, but I can't be sure. I'll look it up to see
      where he points me.

      Thanks again,
      John
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Janet Croft <jbcroft@o...> wrote:
        > One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien
        as poorly
        > written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American
        Prospect"
        > (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind
        Wilson's "Ooh,
        > Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you
        will.

        Yes, but he's also ancient history. I was more interested in recent
        stuff. The Germaine Greer comment is more relevant to what I wanted
        to see.
      • stephen@stephen.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
          Grace -

          I'd suggest starting with Tolkien's own 'On Fairy-Stories' from "Tree and
          Leaf" which can be found in "The Tolkien Reader".

          - Stephen
        • Trudy Shaw
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001