RE: [mythsoc] Re: Myth and religion in LOTR

  • Janet Croft
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
      One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien as poorly
      written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American Prospect"
      (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind Wilson's "Ooh,
      Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you will.
      Germaine Greer recently said "the bad dream has materialized" when she heard
      Tolkien declared Author of the Century in several polls; Mooney references
      her article. And Harold Bloom's introductions to two collections of Tolkien
      criticism seem rather nasty, if the phrases Mooney quotes are any
      indication. (I expected better from Bloom, the great Shakespeare worshipper,
      than to dismiss someone who wrote for the popular reader so lightly.)

      And an article on religion in Tolkien that Grace might find worthwhile is
      "Everyclod and Everyhero: The Image of Man in Tolkien" by Deborah Rogers,
      reprinted in A Tolkien Compass by Jared Lobdell. Parallels to Adam and
      Christ in various characters; I only have excerpts here in my office, so I
      don't know how relevant the whole article is.

      Janet
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
        Janet,

        Thanks for the pointers. Of course I already knew about Wilson's famous
        piece, but I don't remember it very well. I guess I'll have to go back
        and read it again. As for Mooney's article, I vaguely recall seeing
        pointers to it here before, but I can't be sure. I'll look it up to see
        where he points me.

        Thanks again,
        John
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., Janet Croft <jbcroft@o...> wrote:
          > One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien
          as poorly
          > written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American
          Prospect"
          > (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind
          Wilson's "Ooh,
          > Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you
          will.

          Yes, but he's also ancient history. I was more interested in recent
          stuff. The Germaine Greer comment is more relevant to what I wanted
          to see.
        • stephen@stephen.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
            Grace -

            I'd suggest starting with Tolkien's own 'On Fairy-Stories' from "Tree and
            Leaf" which can be found in "The Tolkien Reader".

            - Stephen
          • Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001