Re: [mythsoc] Re: Myth and religion in LOTR

  • John C. Meyers
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
      Grace,

      I would look at two books by Joseph Pearce:

      Tolkien: Man and Myth, Joesph Pearce, 257 pages, Ignatius, ISBN: 0898707110

      Tolkien: Celebration, Joseph Pearce (Ed), Trafalgar Square, ISBN: 0006281206

      The second has some essays that address your subject to some extent. I
      enjoyed both of them.

      John
    • Janet Croft
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
        One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien as poorly
        written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American Prospect"
        (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind Wilson's "Ooh,
        Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you will.
        Germaine Greer recently said "the bad dream has materialized" when she heard
        Tolkien declared Author of the Century in several polls; Mooney references
        her article. And Harold Bloom's introductions to two collections of Tolkien
        criticism seem rather nasty, if the phrases Mooney quotes are any
        indication. (I expected better from Bloom, the great Shakespeare worshipper,
        than to dismiss someone who wrote for the popular reader so lightly.)

        And an article on religion in Tolkien that Grace might find worthwhile is
        "Everyclod and Everyhero: The Image of Man in Tolkien" by Deborah Rogers,
        reprinted in A Tolkien Compass by Jared Lobdell. Parallels to Adam and
        Christ in various characters; I only have excerpts here in my office, so I
        don't know how relevant the whole article is.

        Janet
        I would look at two books by Joseph Pearce:

        Tolkien: Man and Myth, Joesph Pearce, 257 pages, Ignatius, ISBN:
        0898707110

        Tolkien: Celebration, Joseph Pearce (Ed), Trafalgar Square, ISBN:
        0006281206

        The second has some essays that address your subject to some extent. I
        enjoyed both of them.

        John

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • John C. Meyers
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
          Janet,

          Thanks for the pointers. Of course I already knew about Wilson's famous
          piece, but I don't remember it very well. I guess I'll have to go back
          and read it again. As for Mooney's article, I vaguely recall seeing
          pointers to it here before, but I can't be sure. I'll look it up to see
          where he points me.

          Thanks again,
          John
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., Janet Croft <jbcroft@o...> wrote:
            > One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien
            as poorly
            > written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American
            Prospect"
            > (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind
            Wilson's "Ooh,
            > Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you
            will.

            Yes, but he's also ancient history. I was more interested in recent
            stuff. The Germaine Greer comment is more relevant to what I wanted
            to see.
          • stephen@stephen.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
              Grace -

              I'd suggest starting with Tolkien's own 'On Fairy-Stories' from "Tree and
              Leaf" which can be found in "The Tolkien Reader".

              - Stephen
            • Trudy Shaw
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001