Re: Myth and religion in LOTR

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Grace E. Funk" <gfunk@j...> wrote:
      > I tried to send this message a few days ago, but I haven't seen it
      > appear, so I'll try again.

      I saw your message. Like me, no one else responded the first time.
      Your question is a bit too esoteric for my own tastes and research.
      I've certainly seen a few people on the Internet take a whack at the
      topic. I've given it half-hearted attention myself. But formal
      literature? I can't help you.

      Just wanted you to know that someone had read your earlier message.
      Good luck. But I think that's a tough topic, unless you decide to
      mine all the familiar sources (Shippey, Kosher, Carpenter, etc.).

      I did see something a year or two ago, a scan of an article from a
      Catholic magazine. I'm not sure of where it would be. Possibly
      TheOneRing.Net, possibly TolkienOnline.Com. I don't think it was
      quite what you had in mind, but might have had some references to
      look for.
    • John C. Meyers
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
        Grace,

        I would look at two books by Joseph Pearce:

        Tolkien: Man and Myth, Joesph Pearce, 257 pages, Ignatius, ISBN: 0898707110

        Tolkien: Celebration, Joseph Pearce (Ed), Trafalgar Square, ISBN: 0006281206

        The second has some essays that address your subject to some extent. I
        enjoyed both of them.

        John
      • Janet Croft
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
          One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien as poorly
          written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American Prospect"
          (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind Wilson's "Ooh,
          Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you will.
          Germaine Greer recently said "the bad dream has materialized" when she heard
          Tolkien declared Author of the Century in several polls; Mooney references
          her article. And Harold Bloom's introductions to two collections of Tolkien
          criticism seem rather nasty, if the phrases Mooney quotes are any
          indication. (I expected better from Bloom, the great Shakespeare worshipper,
          than to dismiss someone who wrote for the popular reader so lightly.)

          And an article on religion in Tolkien that Grace might find worthwhile is
          "Everyclod and Everyhero: The Image of Man in Tolkien" by Deborah Rogers,
          reprinted in A Tolkien Compass by Jared Lobdell. Parallels to Adam and
          Christ in various characters; I only have excerpts here in my office, so I
          don't know how relevant the whole article is.

          Janet
          I would look at two books by Joseph Pearce:

          Tolkien: Man and Myth, Joesph Pearce, 257 pages, Ignatius, ISBN:
          0898707110

          Tolkien: Celebration, Joseph Pearce (Ed), Trafalgar Square, ISBN:
          0006281206

          The second has some essays that address your subject to some extent. I
          enjoyed both of them.

          John

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • John C. Meyers
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
            Janet,

            Thanks for the pointers. Of course I already knew about Wilson's famous
            piece, but I don't remember it very well. I guess I'll have to go back
            and read it again. As for Mooney's article, I vaguely recall seeing
            pointers to it here before, but I can't be sure. I'll look it up to see
            where he points me.

            Thanks again,
            John
          • Michael Martinez
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
              --- In mythsoc@y..., Janet Croft <jbcroft@o...> wrote:
              > One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien
              as poorly
              > written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American
              Prospect"
              > (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind
              Wilson's "Ooh,
              > Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you
              will.

              Yes, but he's also ancient history. I was more interested in recent
              stuff. The Germaine Greer comment is more relevant to what I wanted
              to see.
            • stephen@stephen.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
                Grace -

                I'd suggest starting with Tolkien's own 'On Fairy-Stories' from "Tree and
                Leaf" which can be found in "The Tolkien Reader".

                - Stephen
              • Trudy Shaw
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001