Myth and religion in LOTR

  • Grace E. Funk
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7 11:16 AM
      I tried to send this message a few days ago, but I haven't seen it
      appear, so I'll try again.
      A friend of mine has decided to celeberate the release of the Fellowship

      of the Ring film in December by holding a study group on the
      significances of myth and religion in the books. He has invited me to
      participate. Can any of you suggest essays or other commentaries related

      to the topic? Purtill's "Myth, Morality and Religion" immediately comes
      to mind, also Ellwood's "Good News from Middle-earth" And then what's
      next? I've got many books, but not time to reread them all, so I'll
      welcome help. Grace E. Funk.

    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7 11:56 AM
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "Grace E. Funk" <gfunk@j...> wrote:
        > I tried to send this message a few days ago, but I haven't seen it
        > appear, so I'll try again.

        I saw your message. Like me, no one else responded the first time.
        Your question is a bit too esoteric for my own tastes and research.
        I've certainly seen a few people on the Internet take a whack at the
        topic. I've given it half-hearted attention myself. But formal
        literature? I can't help you.

        Just wanted you to know that someone had read your earlier message.
        Good luck. But I think that's a tough topic, unless you decide to
        mine all the familiar sources (Shippey, Kosher, Carpenter, etc.).

        I did see something a year or two ago, a scan of an article from a
        Catholic magazine. I'm not sure of where it would be. Possibly
        TheOneRing.Net, possibly TolkienOnline.Com. I don't think it was
        quite what you had in mind, but might have had some references to
        look for.
      • John C. Meyers
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7 1:31 PM
          Grace,

          I would look at two books by Joseph Pearce:

          Tolkien: Man and Myth, Joesph Pearce, 257 pages, Ignatius, ISBN: 0898707110

          Tolkien: Celebration, Joseph Pearce (Ed), Trafalgar Square, ISBN: 0006281206

          The second has some essays that address your subject to some extent. I
          enjoyed both of them.

          John
        • Janet Croft
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7 1:52 PM
            One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien as poorly
            written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American Prospect"
            (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind Wilson's "Ooh,
            Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you will.
            Germaine Greer recently said "the bad dream has materialized" when she heard
            Tolkien declared Author of the Century in several polls; Mooney references
            her article. And Harold Bloom's introductions to two collections of Tolkien
            criticism seem rather nasty, if the phrases Mooney quotes are any
            indication. (I expected better from Bloom, the great Shakespeare worshipper,
            than to dismiss someone who wrote for the popular reader so lightly.)

            And an article on religion in Tolkien that Grace might find worthwhile is
            "Everyclod and Everyhero: The Image of Man in Tolkien" by Deborah Rogers,
            reprinted in A Tolkien Compass by Jared Lobdell. Parallels to Adam and
            Christ in various characters; I only have excerpts here in my office, so I
            don't know how relevant the whole article is.

            Janet
            I would look at two books by Joseph Pearce:

            Tolkien: Man and Myth, Joesph Pearce, 257 pages, Ignatius, ISBN:
            0898707110

            Tolkien: Celebration, Joseph Pearce (Ed), Trafalgar Square, ISBN:
            0006281206

            The second has some essays that address your subject to some extent. I
            enjoyed both of them.

            John

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • John C. Meyers
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7 1:59 PM
              Janet,

              Thanks for the pointers. Of course I already knew about Wilson's famous
              piece, but I don't remember it very well. I guess I'll have to go back
              and read it again. As for Mooney's article, I vaguely recall seeing
              pointers to it here before, but I can't be sure. I'll look it up to see
              where he points me.

              Thanks again,
              John
            • Michael Martinez
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7 2:54 PM
                --- In mythsoc@y..., Janet Croft <jbcroft@o...> wrote:
                > One article that mentions some of the critics who dismiss Tolkien
                as poorly
                > written is "Kicking the Hobbit" by Chris Mooney in "The American
                Prospect"
                > (http://www.prospect.org/print/V12/10/mooney-c.html). Edmind
                Wilson's "Ooh,
                > Those Awful Orcs" is the classic of early Tolkien-bashing, if you
                will.

                Yes, but he's also ancient history. I was more interested in recent
                stuff. The Germaine Greer comment is more relevant to what I wanted
                to see.
              • stephen@stephen.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8 2:00 PM
                  Grace -

                  I'd suggest starting with Tolkien's own 'On Fairy-Stories' from "Tree and
                  Leaf" which can be found in "The Tolkien Reader".

                  - Stephen
                • Trudy Shaw
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 9 11:18 PM
                    A friend of mine has decided to celeberate the release of the Fellowship

                    of the Ring film in December by holding a study group on the
                    significances of myth and religion in the books. He has invited me to
                    participate. Can any of you suggest essays or other commentaries related

                    to the topic?

                    The first essay that came to mind was Verlyn Flieger's "Missing Person," regarding Christ figures in LotR. It was published in Mythlore, probably about 1985.

                    As I was hunting through bound Mythlores in the library for that article, I ran across one by Catherine Madsen that might be useful. It's entitled, "Light from an Invisible Lamp: Natural Religion in The Lord of the Rings," and was published in Mythlore #53: Spring 1988, pp. 43-47.

                    I never did find "Missing Person" (no pun intended). It was published before I joined the Society and was still reading Mythlore in the library instead of having my own copy. I'd love to order the back issue if anyone has an idea which one it might have been in.

                    --Trudy Shaw