Re: [mythsoc] quotation question

  • Edith Louise Crowe
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
      Ted and all,

      The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
      has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
      Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
      was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...

      Edith

      On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:

      > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what it
      > says is:
      >
      > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
      > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner

    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
        Thanks, Wendell and Edith.

        Ted (who is casting no aspersions upon anyone's typing abilties)

        ------------------------------
        Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Associate Professor of English
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836 Office
        615 898-5098 FAX
        tsherman@... Office
        tedsherman@... Home

        > The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
        > has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
        > Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
        > was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...
        >
        > Edith
        >
        > On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:
        >
        > > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what
        it
        > > says is:
        > >
        > > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
        > > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
        > >
        > > Wendell Wagner

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
          Mary,

          Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
          film???

          Ted
          ------------------------------

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
            tedsherman@... writes:

            > Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
            > film???

            Well, I bought my one-volume earlier than that, but at a glance, I'd say the
            setup, hence the page numberings, would be the same. The typo, or rather
            omission, is found in the passage where Galadriel is presenting each of the
            Company with a gift.

            "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
            the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string elf-hair."

            In my old three-volume set (Ballantine paperback, copyright 1965, this
            printing 1976, it is correctly given as:

            "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
            the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair."

            Diamond Proudbrook