Re: [mythsoc] quotation question

  • NiffMarie@cs.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      In a message dated 9/1/2001 10:33:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
      writes:

      > Which reminds me, LOTR itself must have been corrected, and corrected, and
      > corrected - yet today I found a typo (an omitted word) on p. 366 of
      > the
      > one-vol paperback.

      The only mistake I've found is in (older) paperback version of the second
      book. I can't remember which page it was on. My heart rejoices in that it is
      the only one I've ever found in them. I find mistakes all the time in books.
      It bugs me :-)

      --Niff, infj
      NiffMarie@...
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
      Cicero
    • Edith Louise Crowe
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
        Ted and all,

        The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
        has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
        Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
        was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...

        Edith

        On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:

        > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what it
        > says is:
        >
        > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
        > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
          Thanks, Wendell and Edith.

          Ted (who is casting no aspersions upon anyone's typing abilties)

          ------------------------------
          Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
          Mythopoeic Literature
          Associate Professor of English
          Murfreesboro, TN 37132
          615 898-5836 Office
          615 898-5098 FAX
          tsherman@... Office
          tedsherman@... Home

          > The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
          > has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
          > Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
          > was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...
          >
          > Edith
          >
          > On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:
          >
          > > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what
          it
          > > says is:
          > >
          > > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
          > > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
          > >
          > > Wendell Wagner

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
            Mary,

            Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
            film???

            Ted
            ------------------------------

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
              tedsherman@... writes:

              > Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
              > film???

              Well, I bought my one-volume earlier than that, but at a glance, I'd say the
              setup, hence the page numberings, would be the same. The typo, or rather
              omission, is found in the passage where Galadriel is presenting each of the
              Company with a gift.

              "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
              the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string elf-hair."

              In my old three-volume set (Ballantine paperback, copyright 1965, this
              printing 1976, it is correctly given as:

              "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
              the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair."

              Diamond Proudbrook