Re: [mythsoc] quotation question

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      In a message dated 09/01/2001 5:26:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
      tedsherman@... writes:

      > Can anyone tell me whether the following quote from Morgoth's Ring is
      > accurate?

      Which reminds me, LOTR itself must have been corrected, and corrected, and
      corrected - yet today I found a typo (an omitted word) on p. 366 of the
      one-vol paperback.

      Would it be a good idea to have a Group Read here in the months leading up to
      the movie release? And if so, of the first volume only (which approximates
      what is covered in the first movie), or of the whole thing?

      I myself am (as of today) now pursuing the captured hobbits up to the eaves
      of Fangorn, and thinking that the best parts (still) are perhaps from the
      leaving of Rivendell up to the leaving of Lothlorien. The approach to
      Caradhras and the failure there, the entry into Moria, and the realm of
      Galadriel... sheer magic, all of it.

      Mary S
    • NiffMarie@cs.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
        In a message dated 9/1/2001 10:33:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
        writes:

        > Which reminds me, LOTR itself must have been corrected, and corrected, and
        > corrected - yet today I found a typo (an omitted word) on p. 366 of
        > the
        > one-vol paperback.

        The only mistake I've found is in (older) paperback version of the second
        book. I can't remember which page it was on. My heart rejoices in that it is
        the only one I've ever found in them. I find mistakes all the time in books.
        It bugs me :-)

        --Niff, infj
        NiffMarie@...
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
        Cicero
      • Edith Louise Crowe
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
          Ted and all,

          The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
          has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
          Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
          was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...

          Edith

          On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:

          > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what it
          > says is:
          >
          > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
          > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
          >
          > Wendell Wagner

        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
            Thanks, Wendell and Edith.

            Ted (who is casting no aspersions upon anyone's typing abilties)

            ------------------------------
            Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
            Mythopoeic Literature
            Associate Professor of English
            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
            615 898-5836 Office
            615 898-5098 FAX
            tsherman@... Office
            tedsherman@... Home

            > The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
            > has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
            > Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
            > was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...
            >
            > Edith
            >
            > On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:
            >
            > > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what
            it
            > > says is:
            > >
            > > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
            > > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
            > >
            > > Wendell Wagner

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Ted Sherman
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
              Mary,

              Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
              film???

              Ted
              ------------------------------

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
                tedsherman@... writes:

                > Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
                > film???

                Well, I bought my one-volume earlier than that, but at a glance, I'd say the
                setup, hence the page numberings, would be the same. The typo, or rather
                omission, is found in the passage where Galadriel is presenting each of the
                Company with a gift.

                "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
                the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string elf-hair."

                In my old three-volume set (Ballantine paperback, copyright 1965, this
                printing 1976, it is correctly given as:

                "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
                the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair."

                Diamond Proudbrook