Re: [mythsoc] quotation question

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
      I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what it
      says is:

      And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
      'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
        In a message dated 09/01/2001 5:26:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
        tedsherman@... writes:

        > Can anyone tell me whether the following quote from Morgoth's Ring is
        > accurate?

        Which reminds me, LOTR itself must have been corrected, and corrected, and
        corrected - yet today I found a typo (an omitted word) on p. 366 of the
        one-vol paperback.

        Would it be a good idea to have a Group Read here in the months leading up to
        the movie release? And if so, of the first volume only (which approximates
        what is covered in the first movie), or of the whole thing?

        I myself am (as of today) now pursuing the captured hobbits up to the eaves
        of Fangorn, and thinking that the best parts (still) are perhaps from the
        leaving of Rivendell up to the leaving of Lothlorien. The approach to
        Caradhras and the failure there, the entry into Moria, and the realm of
        Galadriel... sheer magic, all of it.

        Mary S
      • NiffMarie@cs.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2001
          In a message dated 9/1/2001 10:33:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > Which reminds me, LOTR itself must have been corrected, and corrected, and
          > corrected - yet today I found a typo (an omitted word) on p. 366 of
          > the
          > one-vol paperback.

          The only mistake I've found is in (older) paperback version of the second
          book. I can't remember which page it was on. My heart rejoices in that it is
          the only one I've ever found in them. I find mistakes all the time in books.
          It bugs me :-)

          --Niff, infj
          NiffMarie@...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
          Cicero
        • Edith Louise Crowe
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
            Ted and all,

            The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
            has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
            Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
            was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...

            Edith

            On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:

            > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what it
            > says is:
            >
            > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
            > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
            >
            > Wendell Wagner

          • Ted Sherman
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
              Thanks, Wendell and Edith.

              Ted (who is casting no aspersions upon anyone's typing abilties)

              ------------------------------
              Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
              Mythopoeic Literature
              Associate Professor of English
              Murfreesboro, TN 37132
              615 898-5836 Office
              615 898-5098 FAX
              tsherman@... Office
              tedsherman@... Home

              > The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
              > has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
              > Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
              > was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...
              >
              > Edith
              >
              > On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:
              >
              > > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what
              it
              > > says is:
              > >
              > > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
              > > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
              > >
              > > Wendell Wagner

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Ted Sherman
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
                Mary,

                Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
                film???

                Ted
                ------------------------------

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2001
                  tedsherman@... writes:

                  > Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
                  > film???

                  Well, I bought my one-volume earlier than that, but at a glance, I'd say the
                  setup, hence the page numberings, would be the same. The typo, or rather
                  omission, is found in the passage where Galadriel is presenting each of the
                  Company with a gift.

                  "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
                  the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string elf-hair."

                  In my old three-volume set (Ballantine paperback, copyright 1965, this
                  printing 1976, it is correctly given as:

                  "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
                  the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair."

                  Diamond Proudbrook