quotation question

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1 5:28 PM
      Can anyone tell me whether the following quote from Morgoth's Ring is accurate?
      "And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have 'existed'. independent of his own mind, and a world in potential" (396).

      The author of the article and I both wonder about that internal period after "existed."

      Ted

      ------------------------------
      Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
      Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836 Office
      615 898-5098 FAX
      tsherman@... Office
      tedsherman@... Home

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1 7:15 PM
        I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what it
        says is:

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1 7:33 PM
          In a message dated 09/01/2001 5:26:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
          tedsherman@... writes:

          > Can anyone tell me whether the following quote from Morgoth's Ring is
          > accurate?

          Which reminds me, LOTR itself must have been corrected, and corrected, and
          corrected - yet today I found a typo (an omitted word) on p. 366 of the
          one-vol paperback.

          Would it be a good idea to have a Group Read here in the months leading up to
          the movie release? And if so, of the first volume only (which approximates
          what is covered in the first movie), or of the whole thing?

          I myself am (as of today) now pursuing the captured hobbits up to the eaves
          of Fangorn, and thinking that the best parts (still) are perhaps from the
          leaving of Rivendell up to the leaving of Lothlorien. The approach to
          Caradhras and the failure there, the entry into Moria, and the realm of
          Galadriel... sheer magic, all of it.

          Mary S
        • NiffMarie@cs.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1 7:39 PM
            In a message dated 9/1/2001 10:33:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > Which reminds me, LOTR itself must have been corrected, and corrected, and
            > corrected - yet today I found a typo (an omitted word) on p. 366 of
            > the
            > one-vol paperback.

            The only mistake I've found is in (older) paperback version of the second
            book. I can't remember which page it was on. My heart rejoices in that it is
            the only one I've ever found in them. I find mistakes all the time in books.
            It bugs me :-)

            --Niff, infj
            NiffMarie@...
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
            Cicero
          • Edith Louise Crowe
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2 3:00 PM
              Ted and all,

              The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
              has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
              Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
              was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...

              Edith

              On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:

              > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what it
              > says is:
              >
              > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
              > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
              >
              > Wendell Wagner

            • Ted Sherman
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 2 5:28 PM
                Thanks, Wendell and Edith.

                Ted (who is casting no aspersions upon anyone's typing abilties)

                ------------------------------
                Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                Mythopoeic Literature
                Associate Professor of English
                Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                615 898-5836 Office
                615 898-5098 FAX
                tsherman@... Office
                tedsherman@... Home

                > The author, having finally consulted her own copy of _Morgoth's Ring_,
                > has discovered that the wording in the American edition is the same as
                > Wedell noted below. Ergo, the oddly placed period in the author's article
                > was a result of the author being a lousy typist. Mea culpa to Ted...
                >
                > Edith
                >
                > On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 WendellWag@... wrote:
                >
                > > I have what I believe is a British first edition of the book, and what
                it
                > > says is:
                > >
                > > And yet even so he would have been defeated, because it would still have
                > > 'existed', independent of his own mind, and a world in potential.
                > >
                > > Wendell Wagner

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Ted Sherman
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2 5:30 PM
                  Mary,

                  Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
                  film???

                  Ted
                  ------------------------------

                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 2 8:22 PM
                    tedsherman@... writes:

                    > Is this the one-volume paperback with the cover art from the upcoming
                    > film???

                    Well, I bought my one-volume earlier than that, but at a glance, I'd say the
                    setup, hence the page numberings, would be the same. The typo, or rather
                    omission, is found in the passage where Galadriel is presenting each of the
                    Company with a gift.

                    "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
                    the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string elf-hair."

                    In my old three-volume set (Ballantine paperback, copyright 1965, this
                    printing 1976, it is correctly given as:

                    "To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadrim used, longer and stouter than
                    the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair."

                    Diamond Proudbrook