Running Mythcon

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28, 2001
      In a message dated 8/27/01 4:16:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      michael@... writes:

      > As for offering to chair a Mythcon, the idea never occurred to me. I
      > thought it was always organized by the more academically oriented
      > people. I have been doing mostly glamorous Tolkien stuff for
      > Dragoncon anyway, and don't feel the majority of the panels I
      > schedule are what the Mythcons are looking for.

      Mythcon are almost never run by professional academic people. It's not
      necessary. At the 1994 Mythcon in Washington (which I chaired), we pushed a
      little harder than usual to get academics to present papers. The English
      professors and grad students who came were surprised but delighted to find
      that our con committee consisted of a mathematician, a physicist, a couple of
      economists, several computer programmers, a couple of technical writers,
      etc., none of whom had a degree in English. It's a point of honor at Mythcon
      that fans and academics can participate at an equal level and that you
      generally won't even be able to tell from the paper someone presents or the
      panel they're on whether they're an academic or purely a fan. And of course,
      as Margaret stated in a previous post, Mythcons are fun. Nor does being on
      the committee at a Mythcon require having been a lot of Mythcons. Some were
      organized by people with llittle previous experience of Mythcon.

      What Mythcons do require is some hard work at organizing. Where do you live?
      I have a vague memory that you live in the eastern U.S. (New York?). People
      at Mythcon tell me they would love to get another Mythcon on the East Coast.
      The Washington people, though, aren't interested in doing another Mythcon
      here. If you're interested in doing Mythcon anywhere in the eastern U.S., I
      can hook you up with some people who would be willing to be on your
      committee. 2004 is open for a Mythcon at the moment.

    • Mary Kay Kare
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2001
        WendellWag@... wrote:

        > What Mythcons do require is some hard work at organizing. Where do you live?
        > I have a vague memory that you live in the eastern U.S. (New York?). People
        > at Mythcon tell me they would love to get another Mythcon on the East Coast.
        > The Washington people, though, aren't interested in doing another Mythcon
        > here. If you're interested in doing Mythcon anywhere in the eastern U.S., I
        > can hook you up with some people who would be willing to be on your
        > committee. 2004 is open for a Mythcon at the moment.

        Since the Steward for Mythcons is a subscriber to the list (that would
        be me), I'd love to hear about someone who wants to do an east coast
        Mythcon. We're in Tennessee in 2003 which is further east than we've
        been for a while, but we can certainly use another. Note that all the
        committee need not live in close proximity to wheret he con is to be
        held. Email is a really wonderful thing. Publications, programming,
        papers, can all easily be done by someone who doesn't live on-site, as
        it were.

        MKK
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., WendellWag@a... wrote:
          > What Mythcons do require is some hard work at organizing. Where do
          > you live? I have a vague memory that you live in the eastern U.S.
          > (New York?). People at Mythcon tell me they would love to get
          > another Mythcon on the East Coast.

          Right now I'm in Houston. I used to live in Atlanta, and that is
          where Dragoncon is held each year, and I'm the director of the
          Tolkien and Middle-earth fan track. I've told the powers that be at
          D*C I don't think they need a Tolkien track next year. So much stuff
          requires facilities that are only available in main programming it's
          too much of a hassle fighting for the space.

          I haven't decided if I will do another Dragoncon. I also worked on
          Magic Carpet Con for five years.

          > The Washington people, though, aren't interested in doing another
          > Mythcon here. If you're interested in doing Mythcon anywhere in
          > the eastern U.S., I can hook you up with some people who would be
          > willing to be on your committee. 2004 is open for a Mythcon at the
          > moment.

          I will have to give it some thought. I need to get Dragoncon out of
          the way (it's this weekend). I am guessing, however, that the window
          of opportunity for bids or proposals is closing soon?

          If you'd like, please feel free to contact me off list with a basic
          explanation of the process, or a link to a Web site which explains
          how you set the ball rolling. I'll give it some serious
          consideration. But I've been involved with cons since 1993, which
          isn't long by some old-timers' standards, yet it's getting a little
          old for me.
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., Mary Kay Kare <marykay@k...> wrote:
            > Since the Steward for Mythcons is a subscriber to the list (that
            > would be me), I'd love to hear about someone who wants to do an
            > east coast Mythcon.

            Well, I should have read a little further on, I guess.

            I'm not ready to say I would do it. Location means nothing to me.
            I've run two fan tracks for Dragoncon from out of state, and helped
            run Magic Carpet Con from a distance, too.

            If I were to join or organize a concom, I would have to have a
            business manager. I don't do the books. I really don't WANT to do
            the books. But I've done almost everything else, except security.
            And I've done a little of that, too, I suppose.

            And I can't imagine how many people here would be appalled at the
            idea of me running a Mythcon (or helping). :)

            I really have no idea of what people here think of me. No need to
            tell me, but like I said in the previous message: I'll give it some
            thought. I don't mind academic presentations in the least. I just
            haven't ever tried to crack the peer-review crowd. It's more fun to
            get emails saying, "Complete is not spelled compleat, you moron!"
          • Patricia Vivien Yarrow
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2001
              Hi. Speaking from (current) experience, you want as broad and diverse
              a committee as you can muster. I'd suggest both a registration person
              and a financial person.

              Pat Yarrow
              (embarking upon the adventure of chairing Mythcon 33, which will have
              a Shakespearean theme - complete announcement coming soon)

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 29, 2001
                --- In mythsoc@y..., "Patricia Vivien Yarrow" <yarrowp@m...> wrote:
                > Hi. Speaking from (current) experience, you want as broad and
                > diverse a committee as you can muster. I'd suggest both a
                > registration person and a financial person.

                Oh, I wasn't thinking of going it alone. I just meant that I
                wouldn't take on the responsibility of doing the books myself. :)

                I guess the business person would have to be local to the venue, so
                as to be available for meetings and contract disputes/negotiations.

                Are the mythcons usually held at universities? I thought that was
                where they tended to be, but haven't had time to look into the past
                venues.
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 30, 2001
                  In a message dated 8/30/01 1:37:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  michael@... writes:

                  > I guess the business person would have to be local to the venue, so
                  > as to be available for meetings and contract disputes/negotiations.
                  >
                  > Are the mythcons usually held at universities? I thought that was
                  > where they tended to be, but haven't had time to look into the past
                  > venues.

                  The business person (who's usually called on con committees just the
                  treasurer) doesn't have to be local. He might have to come to the con site
                  for a couple of meetings, but even that is not absolutely necessary.
                  Usually, there's a separate person referred to as the site liaison who does
                  the talking to the people who work at the site (the university or hotel or
                  whatever) who does whatever negotiating of the contract is necessary. The
                  treasurer needs accounting skills; the site liaison needs negotiating skills.
                  One further sort of financial-type help you'll probably need is that as soon
                  as you get the contract from the site you'll want to have a lawyer look at
                  it. It'll cost you $50 to $100, but it's worth it. Our con committee went
                  to a lawyer here who's a science fiction fan who's been to a lot of cons and
                  who knows all the formal and informal legal things that relate to cons trying
                  to get a good contract.

                  Here's a list of all the previous Mythcons:

                  http://www.mythsoc.org/mchistory.html

                  As you can see, most of them were held at universities, but we've also used
                  conference centers, hotels, and even a military recreation camp.