Mythcons

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2001
      Michael Martinez wrote:

      > As for offering to chair a Mythcon, the idea never occurred to me. I
      > thought it was always organized by the more academically oriented
      > people. I have been doing mostly glamorous Tolkien stuff for
      > Dragoncon anyway, and don't feel the majority of the panels I
      > schedule are what the Mythcons are looking for.

      I think you might be surprised. A lot of the programming at a
      Mythcon is academic in nature, but certainly not all of it;
      there's usually quite a mix, to put it mildly.

      > Perhaps I've had the wrong impression, but I had to cancel out of the
      > only Mythcon I actually ever registered for, so I don't know what
      > they are like.

      I really hope you get to go, one of these days, because Mythcons
      are wonderful. Mind you, I'm speaking with a certain sense of
      nostalgia, since I haven't been able to attend more than one
      Mythcon since I got married (and I think it may actually have
      been the one in '94 -- was that the one held in the D.C. area,
      Wendell? The main thing I remember about it was that I was
      pushing around my youngest in a stroller, and he was born in
      '93), but if you are envisioning a dry academic conference you're
      way off the mark. (Though if my husband's descriptions of the
      Byzantine Studies Conference are anything to go by, even more or
      less "straight" academic conferences aren't necessarily all that
      dry either.) There's pageantry and partying and silliness and
      fun and feasting and fellowship, not to mention the =best= Bardic
      Circles. And several hundred people who are all as obsessed as
      you are about (more or less) the same things. I've never
      attended one and =not= had a wonderful time; in many ways it is
      (or can be) an enchanted experience.

      Maybe now that the kids are getting older I'll be able to start
      going to some Mythcons again.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>