Kalamazoo Tolkien sessions

  • Nagy Gergely
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2001
      Dear all,

      I would like to draw everyone's attention to the fact that the 37th International Congress on Medieval Studies (May 2-5 2002, Kalamazoo, MI) will include 4 sessions on Tolkien as well. Please see the Medieval
      Institute's Call for Papers as reference, and the page Professor Jane Chance has put up (not ending in .com as in the CFP but in .html), which lists the organizers of the 4 sessions.

      I am organizing the session Tolkien and the Classical, and am still looking for proposals and abstracts for it. If anyone is interested, please contact me ASAP; we are running out of time.

      Greetings to all,
      Gergely Nagy
      University of Szeged, HUNGARY
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Nagy Gergely <lamorak@m...> wrote:
        > Institute's Call for Papers as reference, and the page Professor
        > Jane Chance has put up (not ending in .com as in the CFP but
        > in .html), which lists the organizers of the 4 sessions.

        .htm, actually.

        > I am organizing the session Tolkien and the Classical, and am still
        > looking for proposals and abstracts for it. If anyone is
        > interested, please contact me ASAP; we are running out of time.

        Nice to see someone expressing professional interest in Tolkien's
        classical influences for a change, although I would certainly expect
        a strong emphasis on the medieval influences at a MEDIEVAL
        congress. :)

        I would especially like to see more development of Tolkien's theory
        of language and mythology, for which he used Greek language and
        mythology as a reference point. I don't know much about the Greek
        sea myths, but the (scant) tales of Ulmo, Salmar, Osse, and Uinen
        seem to be the most fully developed group of Valarian anecdotes (for
        lack of a better term). Other anecdotes are mostly standalone stuff:
        Varda and the stars, Yavanna and the trees/animals, Aule and the
        Dwarves. A number of people have told me they identify Ulmo with
        Poseidon, especially after reading about how he rears up out of the
        ocean in a body made of water (when he greets Tuor at Vinyamar).

        Manwe's conversations with Iluvatar may deserve some attention, too.
        And perhaps "Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth", although I recently saw
        something where someone was arguing for a medieval model for that
        work. Which isn't to say Tolkien couldn't have drawn upon classical
        sources for it as well.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2001
          In a message dated 8/27/01 11:04:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          michael@... writes:

          > I would especially like to see more development of Tolkien's theory
          > of language and mythology, for which he used Greek language and
          > mythology as a reference point.

          Where were you in 1994, when the theme of Mythcon was language (in Tolkien
          and in fantasy in general)? If you want to see more work on a particular
          theme, why don't you offer to chair a Mythcon about that subject?

        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., WendellWag@a... wrote:
            > In a message dated 8/27/01 11:04:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > michael@x... writes:
            >

            > > I would especially like to see more development of Tolkien's
            > > theory of language and mythology, for which he used Greek
            > > language and mythology as a reference point.
            >
            > Where were you in 1994, when the theme of Mythcon was language (in
            > Tolkien and in fantasy in general)? If you want to see more work
            > on a particular theme, why don't you offer to chair a Mythcon about
            > that subject?

            In 1994 I was concentrating on programming-related stuff, writing
            technical papers, etc. I was still doing Tolkien research then, but
            not with the intensity of the past few years. Having to publish an
            essay every week is quite a challenge, and I have to admit I've been
            falling behind more and more lately.

            As for offering to chair a Mythcon, the idea never occurred to me. I
            thought it was always organized by the more academically oriented
            people. I have been doing mostly glamorous Tolkien stuff for
            Dragoncon anyway, and don't feel the majority of the panels I
            schedule are what the Mythcons are looking for.

            Perhaps I've had the wrong impression, but I had to cancel out of the
            only Mythcon I actually ever registered for, so I don't know what
            they are like. I just look at the sessions from past Mythcons and
            usually think, "Well, I'm a bit more media-oriented than that." Yet
            the Mythcons always fall at a bad time of year for me anyway. The
            last one was held only a few weeks ago, for example, and I just
            started a new job at the end of June and have been getting ready for
            Dragoncon next weekend. So, even just for a lark, I wouldn't have
            been able to attend this year's Mythcon.

            That's just the way it goes.
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27, 2001
              In a message dated 08/27/2001 10:03:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
              michael@... writes:

              > Greek language and
              > mythology as a reference point.

              We could use papers on these themes in 2003, when we're planning a Mythcon in
              Nashville, TN, "Athens of the South" and home of a full-size replica
              Parthenon and Athene, and also home of the Tennessee TITANS.

              Diamond Proudbrook