Re: virtue

  • Grace E. Funk
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2001
      In the Christian Century July 18-25, 2001 pp18-21, appeared a review
      entitled Harry Potter and the bullies : Rowling as moralist" by
      Catherine M. Wallace. Catherine Wallace is writer in residence at
      Seabury-Western Theological Seminary in Evanston, ILL, and book review
      editor for The Anglican Theological Review. Although Wallace says that
      Rowling's charcters are not "fully three-dimensional... they don't grow
      or change", her main thesis is that Harry must learn "how to trust and
      whom to trust". No help, however, with the "how". She ends with the
      hopeful note that bullies are ultimately losers, "because if we remain
      loyal, kind, and honest we will emerge victorious in the end (I wish I
      were sure what she means by "the end").....That is a wise and consoling
      lesson for kids who are feeling besieged or tormented" The whole article
      is well worth reading. I am intrigued by the notice of Harry Potter
      being taken by theological journals. I am still more intrigued that the
      photocopy came to me through church sources. (I may even have to read
      "Goblet of Fire") Grace E. Funk

    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2001
        It's available at

        http://www.christiancentury.org/features2.html#Rowling as moralist

        Ted
        > In the Christian Century July 18-25, 2001 pp18-21, appeared a review
        > entitled Harry Potter and the bullies : Rowling as moralist" by
        > Catherine M. Wallace. Catherine Wallace is writer in residence at
        > Seabury-Western Theological Seminary in Evanston, ILL, and book review
        > editor for The Anglican Theological Review. Although Wallace says that
        > Rowling's charcters are not "fully three-dimensional... they don't grow
        > or change", her main thesis is that Harry must learn "how to trust and
        > whom to trust". No help, however, with the "how". She ends with the
        > hopeful note that bullies are ultimately losers, "because if we remain
        > loyal, kind, and honest we will emerge victorious in the end (I wish I
        > were sure what she means by "the end").....That is a wise and consoling
        > lesson for kids who are feeling besieged or tormented" The whole article
        > is well worth reading. I am intrigued by the notice of Harry Potter
        > being taken by theological journals. I am still more intrigued that the
        > photocopy came to me through church sources. (I may even have to read
        > "Goblet of Fire") Grace E. Funk

      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2001
          Actually, the online version is not the whole article. You have to purchase
          (or go to a library that subscribes to) the journal to get the whole
          article.

          Ted

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/