Re: Re: [mythsoc] A truly depressing post

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21, 2001
      In a message dated 8/21/1 7:29:39 PM, Mary wrote:

      <<My mother said she didn't know exactly how I learned to read before
      entering
      school, but she knew it was using the letters as a code, not "sight-reading,"
      because I would sound out words.

      I also learned to read by myself when I was about three. I wonder how
      widespread a phenomenon that actually is? I first learned to read Cyrillic,
      and then learned the Latin alphabet by comparing the phonetic values of the
      letters to the alphabet I already knew. All this was long before I went to
      school.
      Alexei