Re: [mythsoc] A truly depressing post

  • NiffMarie@cs.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 21 1:00 PM
      Hi!

      I don't usually write much - though I enjoy reading all the posts!

      I do happen to know a bit about giftedness and wanted to add my $0.02. :-)

      Kids who learn quickly and lots can be of two types: the ones whose parents
      pushed them (I think this might be a bit obvious - the kids are nervous,
      etc), and those who push themselves and learn because they enjoy it. Often,
      if gifted kiddos aren't given enough to stimulate them, it leads to a lot of
      negative emotional experiences and trouble. So it could go either way.

      OTOH, sometimes teachers react to giftedness, thinking reflexively that
      either the parents are too pushy (and it's bad for the child), or thinking
      for other reasons it's not good for kids to be exceptionally advanced. This
      is also damaging, a lot of times. In other cases, though, they are right on -
      sometimes parents do push too hard.

      Anyway, interesting thread! Sorry to interrupt :-)

      --Niff, infj
      NiffMarie@...
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing."
      Cicero
    • Janet Croft
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 21 2:06 PM
        Absolutely! My husband and I both experienced being understimulated in
        school, and being looked at askance by our teachers and other students. It
        was emotionally unpleasant, to say the least. Our daughter was held back
        when she tried to work ahead in math in kindergarten, and that's why we've
        home-schooled ever since -- to spare her from anyone saying giftedness made
        her a freak, or that she should act dumb to get boys. (or at least to get
        dumb boys ;))

        Janet
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        www.nissandriven.com

      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 21 2:12 PM
          In a message dated 8/21/1 7:29:39 PM, Mary wrote:

          <<My mother said she didn't know exactly how I learned to read before
          entering
          school, but she knew it was using the letters as a code, not "sight-reading,"
          because I would sound out words.

          I also learned to read by myself when I was about three. I wonder how
          widespread a phenomenon that actually is? I first learned to read Cyrillic,
          and then learned the Latin alphabet by comparing the phonetic values of the
          letters to the alphabet I already knew. All this was long before I went to
          school.
          Alexei