Re: [Sales of Lewiss books]

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 16 5:31 AM
      At 4:50 AM -0400 7/16/99, WendellWag@... wrote:

      >> I daresay that I completely understand why there would be some people that
      >would > see Williams books as flirting with occultism. . .

      The Order of the Golden Dawn does tend to strike me as being occult,
      to the very limited extent that I have any knowledge of it.

      > My point was that a store in
      >such a neighborhood that's not remotely a religious bookstore still sells a
      >lot of Lewis's books, making me think that Lewis's readership is rather
      >mainstream these days.

      Hard to define 'mainstream' in America these days. There seem to be
      two main streams in collision.

      I talked with an editor for a major Christian publishing house last
      year, and he complained to me that he cannot get the good fiction
      published - the Christian public will not buy good fiction in
      Christian book stores, though they -do- go to the general book stores
      and buy it. Lawhead (who is getting better at his craft) has made the
      transition, but others, like Willis, have not. Which leaves us
      reading Gresham, Stephenson and Helprin for good, thoughtful fiction.
      That isn't all bad, but the dichotomy isn't, IMHO, a good thing.

      --Steve
      It's 1999, where's Moonbase Alpha?
    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16 8:12 AM