Tolkien reprints, was LeGuin etc.

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2001
      In a message dated 8/16/01 9:22:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
      Wayne.G.Hammond@... writes:

      > the new Houghton Mifflin printings

      I bought a 1-vol paperback LOTR some time ago with an Alan Lee (I believe)
      cover, just the right size for reading. The marked price is $20 though I
      doubt I spent that much. ISBN 0-395-97468-2

      Yesterday in my local warehouse-store (Costco) I saw what appeared to be the
      exact same plates (or whatever they use, now), rebound with a cover featuring
      stills from the New Line film. It's priced $11.49, and paper and ink look
      lower quality, though I didn't do a book-to-book comparison. ISBN
      0-618-129020-2. I'd hate to try to read the book in this format; it looked
      as though the print would fuzz up before my eyes. But one can, and does,
      hope that the film will lure many new purchasers of the book, and that some
      of them will become serious readers. At least, =I= does.

      I wonder how many young HARRY POTTER consumers will get their moms to put
      LOTR into the cart now...

      Diamond Proudbrook