Odin and Christ.

  • mythology@chat.ru
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2001
      A. Fantalov.
      Odin and Christ.
      (The materials of international symposium in Saint Petersburg
      univercity 2001).

      Scandinavian mythology is an example of great polytheistic system,
      which developed at the same time that Christianity. Both of these
      world outlooks not only with each other but were in interaction. This
      interaction represents in Literature and Fine art. Among art of
      considered epoch (the Viking Age - 8 - 12 a. c.) rune stones are the
      most contained objects.
      Runes are a pagan alphabet. It is known from 2 a. c. Runes was carved
      on funeral stones as protection. For the same purpose they were
      accompanied by depictions of fantastical monsters. The most developed
      subject of runic art belongs to 11 a. c. In this epoch inscriptions
      were placed on the serpents, what constituted frame of picture.
      Inside of this frame we can see depiction of fantastical beasts. But
      often instead of the beasts we can see cross.
      Of course, it is not insist of that people, who installed these
      stones, were Christians. But we can speak about complicated of
      heathen and Christian symbols. Cross, as basic structure of the world
      likes Scandinavian World Tree. It can remain that name of mount,
      where Jesus Christ was is Golgofa (`place of skull' (by Adam) that is
      Cross as grow from head of progenitor of mankind.
      And in Scandinavian mythology firmament was created of giant Imir's
      skull.
      Christ's suffering was stopped by means of legioner Longin's spear.
      Then Christ has gone down into hell and has set free virtuous people.
      And Scandinavian Odin in order to increase his wisdom, devoted to
      himself. He was pierced with his spear and has been during 9 days and
      nights on the World Tree. At this time Odin's soul and have been
      known mysteries of Dead World (for instance - runes). Then a giant -
      grandfather of Odin gave him a horn with sacral honey.
      Sometimes we see a rider in the centre of runic depiction. Above
      rider a raven is carved. In terms of this features we can suppose
      that the rider is Scandinavian Odin.
      There are plots of Sigurd' cycle on runic stones. The composition one
      of them includes the cross with branches. This cross is a Christian
      symbol and the World Tree at the same time.
      But let us return to simple type of runic stones. The design of the
      following stone resembles with preceding ones. However, it includes
      the cross installed on a back of animal. In order to understand this
      innovation, we should to consider the stone from Lund. There is also
      the animal with the cross on in back. It is lamb - the symbol by
      Christ. The serpents are transformed in ornament.
      This article describes Sweden runic objects to show increasing of the
      Christian symbolism. The stone from Uppland is over this evolution.
      The church with cross, priests and faithful are carved on it. There
      are not any pagan images.
      It should be remembered, that at the beginning of 12 century the
      famous Uppsala sanctuary was destroyed. The period of coexistence
      between paganism and Christianity was finished. Christ won a victory
      over Odin.
      Alex Fantalov.
      http://www.geocities.com/fantalov (150 mythological pictures)