Re: [IAFA-L] LeGuin: "Those Who Walk Away from Omelas."

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14 8:20 PM
      Is there any anthology readily available in which this story can be found?
      Other than the out-of-print collection with that same title?

      TIA

      Stolzi
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15 8:59 AM
        Mary Stolzenbach wrote:

        >Is there any anthology readily available in which this story can be found?
        >Other than the out-of-print collection with that same title?

        Not sure what you mean by "collection with that same title". Besides the
        fact that, as Wendell pointed out, the title is "The Ones Who Walk Away
        from Omelas", Le Guin never had a collection called that. The out-of-print
        collection it's in is _The Wind's Twelve Quarters_. Which should, however,
        be fairly easy to find used or in a library (subject to the usual caveats
        about one's location relative to these things).

        Wendell Wagner wrote:

        >Here are some books that contain the story

        Most of which, alas, are also out of print, and probably harder to find
        than _The Wind's Twelve Quarters_ (which is also on the list). The one
        fairly recent anthology, containing the story, which is in print is one not
        on Wendell's list: _Treasures of Fantasy_ ed. Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman,
        and Martin H. Greenberg.

        Wendell also wrote:

        >But in any case, here's the story itself online at two places:

        Besides the fact that you cannot trust such sources, even if they were
        legal, to get the text correctly, those who approve of courtesy (at least)
        to living authors will not do their reading in such a flagrantly
        copyright-violating manner.

        I don't know what source Wendell used, but mine is the invaluable Locus
        indexes, whose general front page is <http://www.locusmag.com/index/>, and
        I check in-print status at amazon.com.

        David Bratman