Tolkien quotes

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 2001
      Who are the two people you might think him =least= likely to quote?

      Perhaps, Martin Luther, and Uncle Remus.

      But I found both in the LETTERS today (though I'm only presuming about
      Luther, I think the Uncle Remus is pretty definite).

      The dust-jacket copy amused me, stating that Tolkien appears in these LETTERS
      as "artistic, religious, charmingly eccentric, sentimental, and ultimately
      brilliant."

      Somehow leaving out "amazingly cantankerous."

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2001
        From: <Stolzi@...>

        > The dust-jacket copy amused me, stating that Tolkien appears in these
        LETTERS
        > as "artistic, religious, charmingly eccentric, sentimental, and ultimately
        > brilliant."
        >
        > Somehow leaving out "amazingly cantankerous."

        Perhaps they're saving that for volume 2.

        Berni