Re: Aragorn

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
      > Tolkien says explicitly in a letter (No. 210, numbered point 10)
      > that Aragorn carried the Broken Sword with him in the wilderness,
      > not another, more functional one - which strikes me as extremely
      > improvident, to say the least!

      Sorry if this has already been posted, but what Tolkien actually
      wrote in that letter was:

      Strider does not 'Whip out a sword' in the book. Naturally not: his
      swprd was broken. (It's elvish light is another false anticipation
      of the reforged Anduril. Anticipation is one of Z's chief faults.)
      Why then make him do so here, in a contest that was explicitly not
      fought with weapons?

      The context from points 9 and 11 implies strongly that Tolkien was
      commenting on a scene from the Weathertop incident in the Morton
      Grady Zimmerman script. He is, therefore, only referring to
      Aragorn's weaponless state at the time that he and the Hobbits were
      at Weathertop.

      Tolkien never explains, in any published work I have seen, why
      Aragorn just happened to be carrying the broken sword. He apparently
      used a whole weapon while working for Echthelion, Steward of Gondor,
      because he fought a duel with the Captain of the Havens in Umbar and
      slew his opponent upon the quays. Either Aragorn was a martial
      artist of the Hong Kong school, or he carried other weapons when he
      needed them.

      Of course, he knew he couldn't lead Frodo through a band of Orcs and
      Nazgul. He was after stealth. I've occasionally speculated that
      Aragorn's unexplained errand in the spring of 3018 may have been to
      visit Rivendell and/or the Dunedain to retrieve the shards of Narsil.