Re: [mythsoc] Arwen etc.

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2001
      From: <Stolzi@...>

      > It struck me as curious the other day: any number of people have been
      named
      > Arwen and Galadriel, or have assumed those names, since the books came
      out;
      > but I have heard of few, if any, Eowyns. Wonder why.

      It's that elvish thing. Or a pointed ear thing -- Spock is half human, but
      all anyone seems to care about is his Vulcan side.

      Berni
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 12, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "Berni Phillips" <bernip@i...> wrote:

        > It's that elvish thing. Or a pointed ear thing -- Spock is half
        > human, but all anyone seems to care about is his Vulcan side.

        Arwen/Galadrielinism certainly can't have anything to do with pointed
        ears, but Arwen, at least, is a good, old Welsh name (or a not so old
        Welsh name). I met a man once who got away with naming his daughter
        Arwen because his wife was Welsh and she could live with that.
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
          In a message dated 8/11/01 2:11:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
          writes:

          > Speaking of Arwens past and present, anybody know what's become of Arwen
          > GoodKnight, daughter of the Society's founder? She doesn't seem to "do"
          > the
          > Mythcon thing.

          I talked with Bonnie Callahan at Mythcon. Arwen lives in Boston and works as
          a pastry chef. She was married for about a year, but that broke up more than
          a year ago. She has a new boyfriend just recently, Bonnie reports.

          Arwen does seem to be the most common Tolkien name given to babies. I
          believe I've counted eight women who were named Arwen by their parents.

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
            Thanks, Wendell.

            Mary S