Arwen etc.

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2001
      Speaking of Arwens past and present, anybody know what's become of Arwen
      GoodKnight, daughter of the Society's founder? She doesn't seem to "do" the
      Mythcon thing.

      It struck me as curious the other day: any number of people have been named
      Arwen and Galadriel, or have assumed those names, since the books came out;
      but I have heard of few, if any, Eowyns. Wonder why.

      Diamond Proudbrook, who only recently assumed her Hobbitish name
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2001
        From: <Stolzi@...>

        > It struck me as curious the other day: any number of people have been
        named
        > Arwen and Galadriel, or have assumed those names, since the books came
        out;
        > but I have heard of few, if any, Eowyns. Wonder why.

        It's that elvish thing. Or a pointed ear thing -- Spock is half human, but
        all anyone seems to care about is his Vulcan side.

        Berni
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 12, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., "Berni Phillips" <bernip@i...> wrote:

          > It's that elvish thing. Or a pointed ear thing -- Spock is half
          > human, but all anyone seems to care about is his Vulcan side.

          Arwen/Galadrielinism certainly can't have anything to do with pointed
          ears, but Arwen, at least, is a good, old Welsh name (or a not so old
          Welsh name). I met a man once who got away with naming his daughter
          Arwen because his wife was Welsh and she could live with that.
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
            In a message dated 8/11/01 2:11:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Stolzi@...
            writes:

            > Speaking of Arwens past and present, anybody know what's become of Arwen
            > GoodKnight, daughter of the Society's founder? She doesn't seem to "do"
            > the
            > Mythcon thing.

            I talked with Bonnie Callahan at Mythcon. Arwen lives in Boston and works as
            a pastry chef. She was married for about a year, but that broke up more than
            a year ago. She has a new boyfriend just recently, Bonnie reports.

            Arwen does seem to be the most common Tolkien name given to babies. I
            believe I've counted eight women who were named Arwen by their parents.

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14, 2001
              Thanks, Wendell.

              Mary S