Re: [mythsoc] Re: Digest Number 657

  • Trudy Shaw
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 11, 2001
      From: Michael Martinez
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 10:22 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: Digest Number 657

      The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
      His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
      seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
      can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
      for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
      candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
      the roles.

      I'd be kind of surprised if any Oscars for acting came out of Fellowship of the Ring (special effects or something like that, pretty likely). By the time we get to Return of the King it would seem more possible as the roles (especially Frodo's) become more demanding as time goes on.

      I'm not familiar with most of the actors, but since I've always had a particular fondness for Frodo--and was concerned about how the part would be handled--for the past year I've been trying to find and watch every Elijah Wood movie I could. I've seen 15 of them now, and am quite optimistic. He's "adequate" in roles that are played more broadly, but he's in his element playing characters who are subtle and interiorized. I may "eat my hat" on this one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my favorite fictional person.

      --Trudy

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor