Aragorn

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
      In a message dated 8/10/01 8:32:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
      margdean@... writes:

      > In the =wilderness?=

      In a related subject, I couldn't complain too much abt the film having the
      Sword kept safe at Rivendell, if indeed it does that.

      Tolkien says explicitly in a letter (No. 210, numbered point 10) that Aragorn
      carried the Broken Sword with him in the wilderness, not another, more
      functional one - which strikes me as extremely improvident, to say the least!
      What other weapons did he have? Isn't it stated somewhere else that he
      did not fight with a bow?

      What did he carry, grenades?

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
        On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 04:46:59PM -0400, Stolzi@... wrote:

        > Tolkien says explicitly in a letter (No. 210, numbered point 10) that Aragorn
        > carried the Broken Sword with him in the wilderness, not another, more
        > functional one - which strikes me as extremely improvident, to say the least!
        > What other weapons did he have? Isn't it stated somewhere else that he
        > did not fight with a bow?
        >
        > What did he carry, grenades?
        >
        > Diamond Proudbrook

        Being a Ranger, wouldn't he have carried a hunting knife or long
        knife or some such? It also seems likely to me that he would have
        carried a walking staff while walking. I don't find either described
        right off, but they seem like they'd fit, to me.
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2001
          In a message dated 8/10/01 6:24:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
          juliet@... writes:

          > Being a Ranger, wouldn't he have carried a hunting knife or long
          > knife or some such? It also seems likely to me that he would have
          > carried a walking staff while walking.

          Probably; but neither of these is major weaponry against the menaces in the
          Wild to which he darkly alludes.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
            > Tolkien says explicitly in a letter (No. 210, numbered point 10)
            > that Aragorn carried the Broken Sword with him in the wilderness,
            > not another, more functional one - which strikes me as extremely
            > improvident, to say the least!

            Sorry if this has already been posted, but what Tolkien actually
            wrote in that letter was:

            Strider does not 'Whip out a sword' in the book. Naturally not: his
            swprd was broken. (It's elvish light is another false anticipation
            of the reforged Anduril. Anticipation is one of Z's chief faults.)
            Why then make him do so here, in a contest that was explicitly not
            fought with weapons?

            The context from points 9 and 11 implies strongly that Tolkien was
            commenting on a scene from the Weathertop incident in the Morton
            Grady Zimmerman script. He is, therefore, only referring to
            Aragorn's weaponless state at the time that he and the Hobbits were
            at Weathertop.

            Tolkien never explains, in any published work I have seen, why
            Aragorn just happened to be carrying the broken sword. He apparently
            used a whole weapon while working for Echthelion, Steward of Gondor,
            because he fought a duel with the Captain of the Havens in Umbar and
            slew his opponent upon the quays. Either Aragorn was a martial
            artist of the Hong Kong school, or he carried other weapons when he
            needed them.

            Of course, he knew he couldn't lead Frodo through a band of Orcs and
            Nazgul. He was after stealth. I've occasionally speculated that
            Aragorn's unexplained errand in the spring of 3018 may have been to
            visit Rivendell and/or the Dunedain to retrieve the shards of Narsil.