Re: Digest Number 657

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Trudy Shaw" <tgshaw@e...> wrote:

      > That's something I've always kind of wondered about--if Elves are
      > immortal, do they reach a certain apparent age and then
      > stop "aging," or do they age continuously but very slowly?

      As with so many aspects of Middle-earth, Tolkien changed his mind on
      the physical appearance of Elves. Hence, we have bearded and ancient
      Cirdan greeting the departees at Mithlond and in the last year of his
      life he writes a note saying that the beardlessness of Elves was a
      trait inherited by the Lords of Dol Amroth who were descended from
      Mithrellas.

      In the book, both Galadriel and Arwen have the appearance of young
      maidens.

      The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
      His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
      seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
      can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
      for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
      candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
      the roles.
    • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
        > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
        > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
        > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
        > because of the demands of the roles.

        Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to these
        actors, I will eat my hat.

        Ever the pessimist,

        -

        s&th
        cirhsein@...

        If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into
        a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

      • Steve Dufour
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
          > > > That's something I've always kind of
          wondered > about--if Elves are > > immortal, do they
          reach a certain apparent age and > then > > stop
          "aging," or do they age continuously but very >
          slowly? >.....The ladies seem to show less effects of
          aging than the men. Elrond certainly looked
          middle-aged. But then he was half Man. Oh well, good
          question. I'm hoping for several Oscars for the LOTR
          movies. -Steve

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., "Sweet & Tender Hooligan" <cirhsein@y...> wrote:
            > > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
            > > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
            > > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
            > > because of the demands of the roles.
            >
            > Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to
            > these actors, I will eat my hat.

            They may not want to recognize these actors. We may not get award-
            worthy performances. But from what I've been hearing, both publicly
            and privately, for the past year-and-a-half, there have been some
            very good performances.

            And then we have the beloved Liv Tyler screaming and ducking behind
            Viggo as thirty Orcs come charging at her, not mention whacking her
            poor horse with a sword. But, as I pointed out previously, I believe
            the focus of her role in the films has been changed drastically.

            And as long as the horse wasn't hurt, I'd watch her wield a sword any
            day. But that's just me. :)
          • Trudy Shaw
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 11, 2001
              The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
              His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
              seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
              can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
              for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
              candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
              the roles.

              I'd be kind of surprised if any Oscars for acting came out of Fellowship of the Ring (special effects or something like that, pretty likely). By the time we get to Return of the King it would seem more possible as the roles (especially Frodo's) become more demanding as time goes on.

              I'm not familiar with most of the actors, but since I've always had a particular fondness for Frodo--and was concerned about how the part would be handled--for the past year I've been trying to find and watch every Elijah Wood movie I could. I've seen 15 of them now, and am quite optimistic. He's "adequate" in roles that are played more broadly, but he's in his element playing characters who are subtle and interiorized. I may "eat my hat" on this one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my favorite fictional person.

              --Trudy

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor