Re: Digest Number 657

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:

      > Mortenson is about 20 years too young.

      How do you figure? Aragorn had another 120 years to live when Frodo
      and the boy met up with him.

      > And where did the goatees come in? Dunedain aped the Elves, so
      > they shaved.

      I'm unaware of any Tolkien text which indicates this. Would you mind
      sharing the source of your information?
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., WendellWag@a... wrote:
        > It seems to me that all the parts were cast too young. I had
        > thought that Galadriel should be played by some 50-ish bombshell
        > actress - Susan Sarandon, Catherine Deneuve, Francesca Annis, or
        > some such. Having her played by the 30-to 31-year-old (as of the
        > time of the filming) Cate Blanchett is weird.

        I love Francesca Annis, but in the book Galadriel appears as a young
        maiden. She just happens to be thousands of years old.

        To be more faithful to Tolkien, they should have gotten someone about
        20-24 to play Galadriel, but I think they wanted a tinge of maturity.

        I get the impression that Peter Jackson wanted the (principal)
        Hobbits to seem a bit child-like yet mature. Hence, he went for
        young actors. Bilbo, of course, is very old in the story.

        If, as some spy reports suggest, only a few months pass between
        Bilbo's handing on of the Ring and Gandalf's return, it will be a
        major blunder because the effect of the Ring on Frodo's perceived
        longevity will be lost. There is literally no difference
        (technically) between saying "months later" and "17 years later", and
        the only excuse I can imagine might be served up is that they
        couldn't afford to film Hobbiton with two sets of extras (or two sets
        of actors for the principal characters).

        But I am hoping that timeless Frodo will be preserved. That is an
        important part of the story, even if it requires explanation (which
        it often does) for many people. The Ring's effect on Frodo should be
        subtle enough that the movie audiences won't see rapid changes in his
        behavior, but distinct enough that by the time he (presumably) claims
        the Ring, it is understandable that he is no longer in control of
        himself.
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., "Trudy Shaw" <tgshaw@e...> wrote:

          > That's something I've always kind of wondered about--if Elves are
          > immortal, do they reach a certain apparent age and then
          > stop "aging," or do they age continuously but very slowly?

          As with so many aspects of Middle-earth, Tolkien changed his mind on
          the physical appearance of Elves. Hence, we have bearded and ancient
          Cirdan greeting the departees at Mithlond and in the last year of his
          life he writes a note saying that the beardlessness of Elves was a
          trait inherited by the Lords of Dol Amroth who were descended from
          Mithrellas.

          In the book, both Galadriel and Arwen have the appearance of young
          maidens.

          The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
          His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
          seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
          can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
          for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
          candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
          the roles.
        • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
            > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
            > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
            > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
            > because of the demands of the roles.

            Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to these
            actors, I will eat my hat.

            Ever the pessimist,

            -

            s&th
            cirhsein@...

            If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into
            a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

          • Steve Dufour
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
              > > > That's something I've always kind of
              wondered > about--if Elves are > > immortal, do they
              reach a certain apparent age and > then > > stop
              "aging," or do they age continuously but very >
              slowly? >.....The ladies seem to show less effects of
              aging than the men. Elrond certainly looked
              middle-aged. But then he was half Man. Oh well, good
              question. I'm hoping for several Oscars for the LOTR
              movies. -Steve

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
            • Michael Martinez
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                --- In mythsoc@y..., "Sweet & Tender Hooligan" <cirhsein@y...> wrote:
                > > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
                > > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
                > > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
                > > because of the demands of the roles.
                >
                > Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to
                > these actors, I will eat my hat.

                They may not want to recognize these actors. We may not get award-
                worthy performances. But from what I've been hearing, both publicly
                and privately, for the past year-and-a-half, there have been some
                very good performances.

                And then we have the beloved Liv Tyler screaming and ducking behind
                Viggo as thirty Orcs come charging at her, not mention whacking her
                poor horse with a sword. But, as I pointed out previously, I believe
                the focus of her role in the films has been changed drastically.

                And as long as the horse wasn't hurt, I'd watch her wield a sword any
                day. But that's just me. :)
              • Trudy Shaw
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 11, 2001
                  The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
                  His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
                  seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
                  can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
                  for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
                  candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
                  the roles.

                  I'd be kind of surprised if any Oscars for acting came out of Fellowship of the Ring (special effects or something like that, pretty likely). By the time we get to Return of the King it would seem more possible as the roles (especially Frodo's) become more demanding as time goes on.

                  I'm not familiar with most of the actors, but since I've always had a particular fondness for Frodo--and was concerned about how the part would be handled--for the past year I've been trying to find and watch every Elijah Wood movie I could. I've seen 15 of them now, and am quite optimistic. He's "adequate" in roles that are played more broadly, but he's in his element playing characters who are subtle and interiorized. I may "eat my hat" on this one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my favorite fictional person.

                  --Trudy

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor