Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 657

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
      Steve Schaper wrote:

      > > From: Stolzi@...

      > > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she said it was a
      > > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
      > >
      > > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a big relief
      > > to me.

      > Mortenson is about 20 years too young. And where did the goatees come
      > in? Dunedain aped the Elves, so they shaved.

      In the =wilderness?= I can see them shaving when they were at
      home, so to speak (and in Gondor of course), but on the trail I
      can't imagine them bothering. I've always "seen" Aragorn with a
      beard for that reason, at least when he's being Strider.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:

          > Mortenson is about 20 years too young.

          How do you figure? Aragorn had another 120 years to live when Frodo
          and the boy met up with him.

          > And where did the goatees come in? Dunedain aped the Elves, so
          > they shaved.

          I'm unaware of any Tolkien text which indicates this. Would you mind
          sharing the source of your information?
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., WendellWag@a... wrote:
            > It seems to me that all the parts were cast too young. I had
            > thought that Galadriel should be played by some 50-ish bombshell
            > actress - Susan Sarandon, Catherine Deneuve, Francesca Annis, or
            > some such. Having her played by the 30-to 31-year-old (as of the
            > time of the filming) Cate Blanchett is weird.

            I love Francesca Annis, but in the book Galadriel appears as a young
            maiden. She just happens to be thousands of years old.

            To be more faithful to Tolkien, they should have gotten someone about
            20-24 to play Galadriel, but I think they wanted a tinge of maturity.

            I get the impression that Peter Jackson wanted the (principal)
            Hobbits to seem a bit child-like yet mature. Hence, he went for
            young actors. Bilbo, of course, is very old in the story.

            If, as some spy reports suggest, only a few months pass between
            Bilbo's handing on of the Ring and Gandalf's return, it will be a
            major blunder because the effect of the Ring on Frodo's perceived
            longevity will be lost. There is literally no difference
            (technically) between saying "months later" and "17 years later", and
            the only excuse I can imagine might be served up is that they
            couldn't afford to film Hobbiton with two sets of extras (or two sets
            of actors for the principal characters).

            But I am hoping that timeless Frodo will be preserved. That is an
            important part of the story, even if it requires explanation (which
            it often does) for many people. The Ring's effect on Frodo should be
            subtle enough that the movie audiences won't see rapid changes in his
            behavior, but distinct enough that by the time he (presumably) claims
            the Ring, it is understandable that he is no longer in control of
            himself.
          • Michael Martinez
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
              --- In mythsoc@y..., "Trudy Shaw" <tgshaw@e...> wrote:

              > That's something I've always kind of wondered about--if Elves are
              > immortal, do they reach a certain apparent age and then
              > stop "aging," or do they age continuously but very slowly?

              As with so many aspects of Middle-earth, Tolkien changed his mind on
              the physical appearance of Elves. Hence, we have bearded and ancient
              Cirdan greeting the departees at Mithlond and in the last year of his
              life he writes a note saying that the beardlessness of Elves was a
              trait inherited by the Lords of Dol Amroth who were descended from
              Mithrellas.

              In the book, both Galadriel and Arwen have the appearance of young
              maidens.

              The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
              His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
              seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
              can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
              for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
              candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
              the roles.
            • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
                > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
                > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
                > because of the demands of the roles.

                Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to these
                actors, I will eat my hat.

                Ever the pessimist,

                -

                s&th
                cirhsein@...

                If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into
                a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

              • Steve Dufour
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                  > > > That's something I've always kind of
                  wondered > about--if Elves are > > immortal, do they
                  reach a certain apparent age and > then > > stop
                  "aging," or do they age continuously but very >
                  slowly? >.....The ladies seem to show less effects of
                  aging than the men. Elrond certainly looked
                  middle-aged. But then he was half Man. Oh well, good
                  question. I'm hoping for several Oscars for the LOTR
                  movies. -Steve

                  http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                • Michael Martinez
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                    --- In mythsoc@y..., "Sweet & Tender Hooligan" <cirhsein@y...> wrote:
                    > > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
                    > > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
                    > > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
                    > > because of the demands of the roles.
                    >
                    > Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to
                    > these actors, I will eat my hat.

                    They may not want to recognize these actors. We may not get award-
                    worthy performances. But from what I've been hearing, both publicly
                    and privately, for the past year-and-a-half, there have been some
                    very good performances.

                    And then we have the beloved Liv Tyler screaming and ducking behind
                    Viggo as thirty Orcs come charging at her, not mention whacking her
                    poor horse with a sword. But, as I pointed out previously, I believe
                    the focus of her role in the films has been changed drastically.

                    And as long as the horse wasn't hurt, I'd watch her wield a sword any
                    day. But that's just me. :)
                  • Trudy Shaw
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 11, 2001
                      The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
                      His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
                      seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
                      can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
                      for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
                      candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
                      the roles.

                      I'd be kind of surprised if any Oscars for acting came out of Fellowship of the Ring (special effects or something like that, pretty likely). By the time we get to Return of the King it would seem more possible as the roles (especially Frodo's) become more demanding as time goes on.

                      I'm not familiar with most of the actors, but since I've always had a particular fondness for Frodo--and was concerned about how the part would be handled--for the past year I've been trying to find and watch every Elijah Wood movie I could. I've seen 15 of them now, and am quite optimistic. He's "adequate" in roles that are played more broadly, but he's in his element playing characters who are subtle and interiorized. I may "eat my hat" on this one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my favorite fictional person.

                      --Trudy

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor