Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 657

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
      In a message dated 8/10/01 12:04:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      sschaper@... writes:

      > Mortenson is about 20 years too young. And where did the goatees come
      > in? Dunedain aped the Elves, so they shaved.

      It seems to me that all the parts were cast too young. I had thought that
      Galadriel should be played by some 50-ish bombshell actress - Susan Sarandon,
      Catherine Deneuve, Francesca Annis, or some such. Having her played by the
      30-to 31-year-old (as of the time of the filming) Cate Blanchett is weird.

    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
        Steve Schaper wrote:

        > > From: Stolzi@...

        > > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she said it was a
        > > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
        > >
        > > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a big relief
        > > to me.

        > Mortenson is about 20 years too young. And where did the goatees come
        > in? Dunedain aped the Elves, so they shaved.

        In the =wilderness?= I can see them shaving when they were at
        home, so to speak (and in Gondor of course), but on the trail I
        can't imagine them bothering. I've always "seen" Aragorn with a
        beard for that reason, at least when he's being Strider.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Trudy Shaw
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
          It seems to me that all the parts were cast too young. I had thought that
          Galadriel should be played by some 50-ish bombshell actress - Susan Sarandon,
          Catherine Deneuve, Francesca Annis, or some such. Having her played by the
          30-to 31-year-old (as of the time of the filming) Cate Blanchett is weird.

          Wendell Wagner

          That's something I've always kind of wondered about--if Elves are immortal, do they reach a certain apparent age and then stop "aging," or do they age continuously but very slowly? Would Galadriel and Arwen look like sisters, even though they're two generations apart, or would it be obvious that Galadriel is the grandmother? Is there any evidence one way or the other? Since I've never been able to figure this out, I guess I haven't worried too much about the apparent age of the people being cast as Elves. I have to say the movie's Galadriel is very much as I've pictured her; the hair is perfect (to my imagined version) and _I want that dress_ from the mirror scene.

          The only age issue I was originally concerned about was casting someone as Pippin who's about 8-10 years older than the actors playing the other hobbits. But in the stills I've seen so far, it seems to work--he's got a "young face"--so I'm still giving the benefit of the doubt on that one. I've never seen Billy Boyd act, so as of now all I can go on is the "look."

          --Trudy

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:

            > Mortenson is about 20 years too young.

            How do you figure? Aragorn had another 120 years to live when Frodo
            and the boy met up with him.

            > And where did the goatees come in? Dunedain aped the Elves, so
            > they shaved.

            I'm unaware of any Tolkien text which indicates this. Would you mind
            sharing the source of your information?
          • Michael Martinez
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
              --- In mythsoc@y..., WendellWag@a... wrote:
              > It seems to me that all the parts were cast too young. I had
              > thought that Galadriel should be played by some 50-ish bombshell
              > actress - Susan Sarandon, Catherine Deneuve, Francesca Annis, or
              > some such. Having her played by the 30-to 31-year-old (as of the
              > time of the filming) Cate Blanchett is weird.

              I love Francesca Annis, but in the book Galadriel appears as a young
              maiden. She just happens to be thousands of years old.

              To be more faithful to Tolkien, they should have gotten someone about
              20-24 to play Galadriel, but I think they wanted a tinge of maturity.

              I get the impression that Peter Jackson wanted the (principal)
              Hobbits to seem a bit child-like yet mature. Hence, he went for
              young actors. Bilbo, of course, is very old in the story.

              If, as some spy reports suggest, only a few months pass between
              Bilbo's handing on of the Ring and Gandalf's return, it will be a
              major blunder because the effect of the Ring on Frodo's perceived
              longevity will be lost. There is literally no difference
              (technically) between saying "months later" and "17 years later", and
              the only excuse I can imagine might be served up is that they
              couldn't afford to film Hobbiton with two sets of extras (or two sets
              of actors for the principal characters).

              But I am hoping that timeless Frodo will be preserved. That is an
              important part of the story, even if it requires explanation (which
              it often does) for many people. The Ring's effect on Frodo should be
              subtle enough that the movie audiences won't see rapid changes in his
              behavior, but distinct enough that by the time he (presumably) claims
              the Ring, it is understandable that he is no longer in control of
              himself.
            • Michael Martinez
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                --- In mythsoc@y..., "Trudy Shaw" <tgshaw@e...> wrote:

                > That's something I've always kind of wondered about--if Elves are
                > immortal, do they reach a certain apparent age and then
                > stop "aging," or do they age continuously but very slowly?

                As with so many aspects of Middle-earth, Tolkien changed his mind on
                the physical appearance of Elves. Hence, we have bearded and ancient
                Cirdan greeting the departees at Mithlond and in the last year of his
                life he writes a note saying that the beardlessness of Elves was a
                trait inherited by the Lords of Dol Amroth who were descended from
                Mithrellas.

                In the book, both Galadriel and Arwen have the appearance of young
                maidens.

                The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
                His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
                seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
                can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
                for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
                candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
                the roles.
              • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                  > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
                  > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
                  > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
                  > because of the demands of the roles.

                  Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to these
                  actors, I will eat my hat.

                  Ever the pessimist,

                  -

                  s&th
                  cirhsein@...

                  If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into
                  a watergun and shoot other people in the eyes.

                • Steve Dufour
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                    > > > That's something I've always kind of
                    wondered > about--if Elves are > > immortal, do they
                    reach a certain apparent age and > then > > stop
                    "aging," or do they age continuously but very >
                    slowly? >.....The ladies seem to show less effects of
                    aging than the men. Elrond certainly looked
                    middle-aged. But then he was half Man. Oh well, good
                    question. I'm hoping for several Oscars for the LOTR
                    movies. -Steve

                    http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                  • Michael Martinez
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 10, 2001
                      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Sweet & Tender Hooligan" <cirhsein@y...> wrote:
                      > > I can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar
                      > > nomination for a fantasy movie performance, but they may
                      > > have a couple of candidates come out of these movies simply
                      > > because of the demands of the roles.
                      >
                      > Hah! If the Academy deigns to award even a single /nomination/ to
                      > these actors, I will eat my hat.

                      They may not want to recognize these actors. We may not get award-
                      worthy performances. But from what I've been hearing, both publicly
                      and privately, for the past year-and-a-half, there have been some
                      very good performances.

                      And then we have the beloved Liv Tyler screaming and ducking behind
                      Viggo as thirty Orcs come charging at her, not mention whacking her
                      poor horse with a sword. But, as I pointed out previously, I believe
                      the focus of her role in the films has been changed drastically.

                      And as long as the horse wasn't hurt, I'd watch her wield a sword any
                      day. But that's just me. :)
                    • Trudy Shaw
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 11, 2001
                        The hardest characterization for the actors will probably be Frodo.
                        His character undergoes a tremendous stress and change, and he may
                        seem very young but he is (in the book) a very mature Hobbit. I
                        can't recall when or if anyone has ever gotten an Oscar nomination
                        for a fantasy movie performance, but they may have a couple of
                        candidates come out of these movies simply because of the demands of
                        the roles.

                        I'd be kind of surprised if any Oscars for acting came out of Fellowship of the Ring (special effects or something like that, pretty likely). By the time we get to Return of the King it would seem more possible as the roles (especially Frodo's) become more demanding as time goes on.

                        I'm not familiar with most of the actors, but since I've always had a particular fondness for Frodo--and was concerned about how the part would be handled--for the past year I've been trying to find and watch every Elijah Wood movie I could. I've seen 15 of them now, and am quite optimistic. He's "adequate" in roles that are played more broadly, but he's in his element playing characters who are subtle and interiorized. I may "eat my hat" on this one, but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my favorite fictional person.

                        --Trudy

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor