Re: FIRST RINGS IN HOME STRETCH

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9 2:56 PM
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
      > LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????
      >
      > Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)
      >
      > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she
      said it was a
      > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
      >
      > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a
      big relief
      > to me.

      By all accounts, Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
      Aragorn. He even slept in a tent, took his sword home with him
      (apparently the only actor to do so), and became so attached to his
      horse that he purchased it when filming was complete.

      Based on the clips I have seen, Viggo's performance should be a
      winning one.

      I think the casting is pretty much on the money. Some of the
      depictions are too medieval or RPGish, but only a real nit-picker
      would care and I doubt even I will be doing too much nit-picking. It
      should be a grand movie-going experience for anyone who has read the
      book.

      Eventually, someone else will do the movies again, and their
      adaptation will be rebuked, criticized, flamed, clawed, shredded, and
      rumored to death before the ink has even dried on the financial
      contracts. That's life.
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9 5:57 PM
        michael@... writes:

        > Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
        > Aragorn.

        OK, but my sense of her words was that somebody else was originally lined up
        for the part, and I wondered who?

        Diamond Proudbrook