Tolkien and the horns of Rohan

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9 2:20 PM
      In refreshing my memory of JRRT and what's been written about him, I was
      really pleased to note that one of =his= favorite places in his massive book
      is one of =mine=.

      And it is, of course

      "And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns,
      horns. In dark Mindolluin's side they dimly echoed. Great horns of the
      North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last."

      Shippey dwells on what a master of language Tolkien was, and how he bent it
      to his purposes as a stylist.

      Surely this passage is one of the proofs. Language, rhythm, and sound all
      combine (as in, more notably, great poetry) to produce the effect.

      It doesn't matter what kind of horns Peter Jackson uses, or what their sound
      will be; it will not have =this= magic, it will not sound this wonderful.

      Mary S
    • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9 2:34 PM
        > It doesn't matter what kind of horns Peter Jackson uses,
        > or what their sound will be; it will not have =this= magic,

        You're right, of course. But if Jackson does it right, it will be a
        /different/ kind of magic, sounding - not the same - but every bit as
        wonderful.

        Ever the optimist,

        -

        s&th
        cirhsein@...

        "Every society honours its live conformists
        and its dead troublemakers."
        - Mignon McLaughlin