Re: Tour Picturesque Middle-Earth

  • David Lenander
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
      Well, I put "To live in Caras Galadon" (is that how it's spelled? I probably
      knew then) as my "Ambition" for the high school year book. But I've never felt
      ready, yet, for that, somehow. I think Rivendell seems a lot easier to take, we
      aren't really ready for Lothlorien, it's more rarified, heavenly, otherworldly
      and also perilous, I think. Elrond's House is the Last Homely House,
      Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I think.

      Of course, I already live in Rivendell....

      I'm not sure that Rivendell can really boast "more music," or even, necessarily,
      "better food." But David's "More books" is pretty persuasive. Of course,
      Lothlorien is a lot closer to Fangorn, and I'd really like to visit there, as
      well....

      If anyone is going to Lothlorien because he has the "hots for Galadriel" I'd
      advise that he NOT "speak up," and probably Rivendell would be a much safer
      destination.

      Responding to the message of <199907160420.EAA17707@...>
      from mythsoc@onelist.com:

      > From: d.bratman@...
      >
      > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
      >
      > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
      > had better speak up!
      >
      > David Bratman

      > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
      > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
      > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

      > .

      David Lenander
      293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
      St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
      fax: (612)626-2454
      e-mail: d-lena@...

      Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
      http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
    • Diane Baker
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
        Rivendell for me, too, for the reasons Lisa named. I definitely do not
        have the hots for Galadriel. Now, Celeborn, or Aragorn.....

        d.bratman@... wrote:

        > From: d.bratman@...
        >
        > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
        >
        > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
        > had better speak up!
        >
        > David Bratman

        > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
        > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
        > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
          David Bratman [d.bratman@...] wrote:
          > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
          >
          > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
          > had better speak up!

          Well, gee, David, nothing like stacking the deck. Having the hots for
          Galadriel is the only reason for liking Lothlorien?? Hmmm, let's psychoanalyze
          that response... <g>

          As for me, I'd quickly choose Lothlorien over Rivendell if not for one reason:
          books! So, it's Rivendell for me.

          "It's a poor story that becomes less interesting the more attention one
          gives to it, and a poor reader who insists that reading a good story with
          attention is leff fulfilling than reading it superficially."
          --Kevin Maroney
          Currently reading: A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor
        • Paul F. Labaki
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
            That's me. Just breathing the air in Lothlorien is a turn on. Rivendell is
            closer to our experiences and therefore, perhaps, more welcoming, comforting
            and generally desireable. The beauty and mystery of Lorien is foriegn and
            more daunting. We may not be as welcome there as in Rivendell, but if I
            could choose only one, I would stand with Gimli, axe at the ready!
            --
            Paul Labaki

            ----------

          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
              In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
              d-lena@... writes:

              > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
              think.

              This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
              Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
              Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
              paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
              turning of its leaves.

              But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
              ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
              water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!

              I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
              house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
              he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
              smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.

              Mary S
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                Oh, definitely Rivendell. After all, my husband will be there. (I
                almost typed "Riverdale," where Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead
                live. Then I had an image of Archie and company in Rivendell. Ya know,
                they could be hobbits. I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.
                But I digress.) As my esteemed spouse said, Rivendell has more books,
                and I feel, somehow, that it's closer to home.

                Berni
              • Eleanor Farrell
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                  >From: Stolzi@...
                  >
                  >Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
                  >stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
                  >
                  >Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
                  >weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
                  >Rivendell.
                  >
                  >Splitting your time is not allowed. To qualify, please submit your choice
                  >between these two and briefly give reasons for your preference.
                  >
                  >Dunedain Travel Bureau

                  I'd have to take Lothlorien..... you'll all know why when you see this
                  year's Not-Ready-for-Mythcon Players' production at BreeMoot 4/Mythcon XXX.

                  Ellie

                  Eleanor M. Farrell
                  emfarrell@...
                  Celluloid Wrappers: Costume in the Movies
                  http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/heat/218/
                • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                    In a message dated 7/16/99 9:27:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    bernip@... writes:

                    > Rivendell has more books,

                    People keep saying this; where's their proof? Caras Galadon is a big place,
                    after all.

                    Anyway, Lothlorien is tucked away out of time, so those of us who go there
                    will get more for our two weeks :P

                    Mary S
                  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                      bernip@... writes:

                      > I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.

                      Me, I've been thinking of esteemed hobbits with names like Groucho, and
                      Harpo, and Zeppo, and Chico Baggins. (But that was probably done? in the
                      old Harvard parody?)

                      Who else could be on the Ring journey with them... besides thin, elfin Stan
                      Laurel-las, accompanied by Oli Verhardi the doughty Dwarf??
                    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 19, 1999
                        In a message dated 7/19/99 7:02:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        dianejoy@... writes:

                        > Would
                        > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                        > "homely places." ---djb.

                        Oh well but =of course=!
                      • Diane Baker
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 19, 1999
                          Stolzi@... wrote:

                          > From: Stolzi@...
                          >
                          > In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                          > d-lena@... writes:
                          >
                          > > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
                          > think.
                          > >

                          > This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
                          > Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
                          > Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
                          > paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
                          > turning of its leaves.
                          >
                          > But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
                          > ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
                          > water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!
                          >
                          > I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
                          > house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
                          > he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
                          > smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.
                          >
                          > Mary S

                          The two places are the hardest of choices; I would love to see those
                          trees in bloom, meet the great Lady Galadriel and experience that
                          incredible holiness. But Rivendell is so welcome and so familiar (esp.
                          in contrast to the events which came before Rivendell). The books, the
                          stories, the companionship, (and yes, the food!) all attract me. Would
                          anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                          "homely places." ---djb.
                        • Matthew Heffron
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 20, 1999
                            dianejoy@... writes:

                            > Would
                            > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                            > "homely places." ---djb.

                            Oh well but =of course=!

                            I feel guily to continue this, but I for one would need to visit Gondor. I'd
                            also want to get to the Lonely Mt.

                            Matt