Re: [mythsoc] Re: FIRST RINGS IN HOME STRETCH

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
      LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????

      Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)

      As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she said it was a
      lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?

      I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a big relief
      to me.

      Mary S
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
        > LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????
        >
        > Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)
        >
        > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she
        said it was a
        > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
        >
        > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a
        big relief
        > to me.

        By all accounts, Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
        Aragorn. He even slept in a tent, took his sword home with him
        (apparently the only actor to do so), and became so attached to his
        horse that he purchased it when filming was complete.

        Based on the clips I have seen, Viggo's performance should be a
        winning one.

        I think the casting is pretty much on the money. Some of the
        depictions are too medieval or RPGish, but only a real nit-picker
        would care and I doubt even I will be doing too much nit-picking. It
        should be a grand movie-going experience for anyone who has read the
        book.

        Eventually, someone else will do the movies again, and their
        adaptation will be rebuked, criticized, flamed, clawed, shredded, and
        rumored to death before the ink has even dried on the financial
        contracts. That's life.
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
          michael@... writes:

          > Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
          > Aragorn.

          OK, but my sense of her words was that somebody else was originally lined up
          for the part, and I wondered who?

          Diamond Proudbrook