Re: FIRST RINGS IN HOME STRETCH

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 8, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
      > They are being very cagey about the role of Arwen. It was
      > popularly reported that she gets more "action" by being the one who
      > rides down from Rivendell to help scatter the Black Riders -
      > instead of Glorfindel. Is this a pretty well-established fact? Or
      > a canard? It's a decision I can certainly see a screenwriter
      > making.

      You have to keep in mind that the people who actually know what the
      movie plots are have NOT been talking, except (I believe) in a couple
      of rare cases where they have been carefully feeding disinformation
      to fan sites (in some cases with the understanding of the fan site
      operators that the information being supplied to them MAY include
      some red herrings).

      Also, some of the rumors that have been published derive from wild
      speculations which arose in the wake of reviews of the first (two-
      film) script that Peter Jackson had written for the Miramax movies,
      and after the release/reviews of audition scripts which covered some
      very non-canonical scenes and character interactions.

      In other words, people (some on the inside) have been making up facts
      as we all go along, and the waters have been thoroughly tromped and
      muddied.

      If you want to see a concise list of all the known or alleged
      deviations from the books, Tolkien Online has given Ancalagon the
      Black's "Complete List of Film Changes" document a permanent home at:

      http://www2.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_index.cfm

      Ancalagon does, in my opinion, give way too much weight to the two-
      film/Miramax scripts, but in a few more months we'll get to see what
      the first movie is really like. :)

      As far as Arwen's role goes, that has reportedly be changed during
      the process of the film-making TWICE now, and it's quite possible
      that fannish reaction had some part in that decision (although I hope
      not). There have been reports that Peter Jackson was not satisfied
      with Liv Tyler's action acting, so he focused on her ability as a
      character actress and he beefed up the relationship. So the spy
      reports say.

      The whole Arwen-with-a-sword thing was always overplayed by the
      media, however (she never was supposed to have a major role in the
      movies) and fan sites that allowed the wailing and moaning to go on
      month-after-month only made matters worse. I mean, even when it was
      first reported that the role had been changed (sometime early last
      summer), many fans continued to complain loudly and often about
      warrior Arwen. It took months for word to spread that the sword-
      wielding had been de-emphasized.

      Now it has only within the last month or so come out that her role
      may have been changed again. Liv Tyler returned to New Zealand for
      the looping (re-recording of her dialogue) which had long been
      anticipated, but apparently also engaged in a couple of weeks of
      filming new footage. Other principal actors were also retained for
      some extra footage.

      Now, DOES ARWEN RIDE OUT FROM RIVENDELL? Such footage was shot,
      yes. And some of the officially released publicity pictures show
      Arwen carrying Frodo toward Rivendell with the Nazgul in pursuit.
      For a long time fans believed (without any confirmation or denial
      from the film set) that Glorfindel's role had been co-opted by
      Arwen. Now, however, recent spy reports indicate that Glorfindel may
      still meet Aragorn and the Hobbits on the road. (In the book, he
      does tell them that other -- unnamed -- members of the Rivendell
      community had been sent out, so there is some room for arguing if
      people want to argue over the appropriateness of Arwen's going out.)

      Will these scenes be in the movie? Wait and see. My guess is that
      they will be there.

      Will the Arwen-in-Rohan scenes make it into "The Two Towers"? My
      guess is they will not. But Peter Jackson still has plenty of time
      to decide what to do about "The Two Towers", even though I think a
      first cut has already been made.

      I, personally, look forward to Liv Tyler's portrayal of Arwen. But
      then, I'm a Liv fan. So sue me. :)
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
        LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????

        Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)

        As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she said it was a
        lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?

        I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a big relief
        to me.

        Mary S
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
          > LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????
          >
          > Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)
          >
          > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she
          said it was a
          > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
          >
          > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a
          big relief
          > to me.

          By all accounts, Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
          Aragorn. He even slept in a tent, took his sword home with him
          (apparently the only actor to do so), and became so attached to his
          horse that he purchased it when filming was complete.

          Based on the clips I have seen, Viggo's performance should be a
          winning one.

          I think the casting is pretty much on the money. Some of the
          depictions are too medieval or RPGish, but only a real nit-picker
          would care and I doubt even I will be doing too much nit-picking. It
          should be a grand movie-going experience for anyone who has read the
          book.

          Eventually, someone else will do the movies again, and their
          adaptation will be rebuked, criticized, flamed, clawed, shredded, and
          rumored to death before the ink has even dried on the financial
          contracts. That's life.
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
            michael@... writes:

            > Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
            > Aragorn.

            OK, but my sense of her words was that somebody else was originally lined up
            for the part, and I wondered who?

            Diamond Proudbrook