Shippey's book

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2001
      I am tearing through this with glee, or I was until I got to the section on
      the SILMARILLION, where I contracted a case of 'my eyes glaze over,' just as
      when I try to read the book in question.

      However I did note the words:

      "The whole train of story, then, is a sad and complex one, with many mixed
      motives and scenes of hidden tension. But in order to follow it, it is vital
      to remember who everyone is, who their relatives are, and what they feel
      about their relatives. As has been said above, readers of Norse sagas could
      do it ..."

      This made me think of a certain Python sketch, and thereby of course think of
      dear David Bratman in particular. I caught the sketch this year on BBC
      America, but don't have the name of it. It was in essence a take-off on a
      Masterpiece Theatre type of presentation of one of the Norse Sagas, and began
      with a Python on an Icelandic brae in an incredibly hairy suit of clothes,
      attempting to get onto a horse, while a voice-over explained the back story,
      how Niall the son of Suni, the son of (etc) had a feud with Thorgunn the son
      of Olav the son of (etc) (or whoever)... and explained.... and explained....
      and explained..... and explained, and explained...

      <VBG>

      Mary S