Re: [mythsoc] FIRST RINGS IN HOME STRETCH

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
      Let me ask a couple of dumb questions which arose out of the Mythcon
      panel/interview with Philippa Boyens. I know some of you have been following
      this much more closely than I.

      They are being very cagey about the role of Arwen. It was popularly reported
      that she gets more "action" by being the one who rides down from Rivendell to
      help scatter the Black Riders - instead of Glorfindel. Is this a pretty
      well-established fact? Or a canard? It's a decision I can certainly see a
      screenwriter making.

      Boyens felt that it was a wonderful stroke of fate, or luck, that Viggo
      Mortensen got the role of Aragorn; the implication was that the first actor
      they sought couldn't take the part, or had to relinquish it. Is this true,
      and if so, who was it?

      I have to say Mortensen in the trailers looks extremely close to "my"
      Aragorn... but Blanchett's Galadriel... NO.

      I'd been nervous about the shrinking-hobbits effects technique, but the shot
      in the trailer where the Company goes through the snowy rocks of the pass was
      wonderful: Dwarf, Hobbits, Elves and Men - it looked real, and seamless.

      Mary S
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
        > They are being very cagey about the role of Arwen. It was
        > popularly reported that she gets more "action" by being the one who
        > rides down from Rivendell to help scatter the Black Riders -
        > instead of Glorfindel. Is this a pretty well-established fact? Or
        > a canard? It's a decision I can certainly see a screenwriter
        > making.

        You have to keep in mind that the people who actually know what the
        movie plots are have NOT been talking, except (I believe) in a couple
        of rare cases where they have been carefully feeding disinformation
        to fan sites (in some cases with the understanding of the fan site
        operators that the information being supplied to them MAY include
        some red herrings).

        Also, some of the rumors that have been published derive from wild
        speculations which arose in the wake of reviews of the first (two-
        film) script that Peter Jackson had written for the Miramax movies,
        and after the release/reviews of audition scripts which covered some
        very non-canonical scenes and character interactions.

        In other words, people (some on the inside) have been making up facts
        as we all go along, and the waters have been thoroughly tromped and
        muddied.

        If you want to see a concise list of all the known or alleged
        deviations from the books, Tolkien Online has given Ancalagon the
        Black's "Complete List of Film Changes" document a permanent home at:

        http://www2.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_index.cfm

        Ancalagon does, in my opinion, give way too much weight to the two-
        film/Miramax scripts, but in a few more months we'll get to see what
        the first movie is really like. :)

        As far as Arwen's role goes, that has reportedly be changed during
        the process of the film-making TWICE now, and it's quite possible
        that fannish reaction had some part in that decision (although I hope
        not). There have been reports that Peter Jackson was not satisfied
        with Liv Tyler's action acting, so he focused on her ability as a
        character actress and he beefed up the relationship. So the spy
        reports say.

        The whole Arwen-with-a-sword thing was always overplayed by the
        media, however (she never was supposed to have a major role in the
        movies) and fan sites that allowed the wailing and moaning to go on
        month-after-month only made matters worse. I mean, even when it was
        first reported that the role had been changed (sometime early last
        summer), many fans continued to complain loudly and often about
        warrior Arwen. It took months for word to spread that the sword-
        wielding had been de-emphasized.

        Now it has only within the last month or so come out that her role
        may have been changed again. Liv Tyler returned to New Zealand for
        the looping (re-recording of her dialogue) which had long been
        anticipated, but apparently also engaged in a couple of weeks of
        filming new footage. Other principal actors were also retained for
        some extra footage.

        Now, DOES ARWEN RIDE OUT FROM RIVENDELL? Such footage was shot,
        yes. And some of the officially released publicity pictures show
        Arwen carrying Frodo toward Rivendell with the Nazgul in pursuit.
        For a long time fans believed (without any confirmation or denial
        from the film set) that Glorfindel's role had been co-opted by
        Arwen. Now, however, recent spy reports indicate that Glorfindel may
        still meet Aragorn and the Hobbits on the road. (In the book, he
        does tell them that other -- unnamed -- members of the Rivendell
        community had been sent out, so there is some room for arguing if
        people want to argue over the appropriateness of Arwen's going out.)

        Will these scenes be in the movie? Wait and see. My guess is that
        they will be there.

        Will the Arwen-in-Rohan scenes make it into "The Two Towers"? My
        guess is they will not. But Peter Jackson still has plenty of time
        to decide what to do about "The Two Towers", even though I think a
        first cut has already been made.

        I, personally, look forward to Liv Tyler's portrayal of Arwen. But
        then, I'm a Liv fan. So sue me. :)
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
          LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????

          Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)

          As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she said it was a
          lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?

          I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a big relief
          to me.

          Mary S
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
            > LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????
            >
            > Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)
            >
            > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she
            said it was a
            > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
            >
            > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a
            big relief
            > to me.

            By all accounts, Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
            Aragorn. He even slept in a tent, took his sword home with him
            (apparently the only actor to do so), and became so attached to his
            horse that he purchased it when filming was complete.

            Based on the clips I have seen, Viggo's performance should be a
            winning one.

            I think the casting is pretty much on the money. Some of the
            depictions are too medieval or RPGish, but only a real nit-picker
            would care and I doubt even I will be doing too much nit-picking. It
            should be a grand movie-going experience for anyone who has read the
            book.

            Eventually, someone else will do the movies again, and their
            adaptation will be rebuked, criticized, flamed, clawed, shredded, and
            rumored to death before the ink has even dried on the financial
            contracts. That's life.
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
              michael@... writes:

              > Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
              > Aragorn.

              OK, but my sense of her words was that somebody else was originally lined up
              for the part, and I wondered who?

              Diamond Proudbrook