Re: [mythsoc] AotC

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7 5:55 PM
      What weirded me out about reading Shippey's =Author of the
      Century= was how much of the book consisted of the same points he
      made in =The Road to Middle-earth= and maybe one or two of his
      intervening papers on Tolkien, just with a different organization
      and emphasis. So it "felt" familiar (I've read TRtME a good
      fraction of the number of times I've read JRRT) and new at the
      same time.

      Of the two, I actually like "Road" better, but then the
      philological angle has always intrigued me.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8 9:49 AM
        sschaper@... writes:

        > Christianity

        A thought I had this week: Frodo is 33, when a hobbit comes of age, at the
        beginning of LOTR. At the end of 17 years he is "approaching 50" and begins
        his task.

        Jesus was 13 when he came of age in the Jewish law (12 in the only story of
        His childhood we have, Lk 2:41ff). At "about thirty years of age" ie after
        17 years, we are told He began His ministry (Lk 3:23). An interesting
        parallel!

        Mary S