Re: [mythsoc] AotC

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2001
      I am enjoying _Author of the Century_, and am learning new things, but
      the middle section, where I am, is somewhat diminished due to some
      misunderstandings that Dr. Shippey has of Christianity, including
      Tolkien's Catholicism. :-( It is right for us to enjoy Middle-earth,
      because of Who made it, and we are promised that it will be cleansed or
      re-made, as we are told by Tolkien about the second song of the Ainur,
      where the firstborn and secondborn will join them, and things will be
      made aright. (there are other like bits he gets wrong, as well)
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2001
        What weirded me out about reading Shippey's =Author of the
        Century= was how much of the book consisted of the same points he
        made in =The Road to Middle-earth= and maybe one or two of his
        intervening papers on Tolkien, just with a different organization
        and emphasis. So it "felt" familiar (I've read TRtME a good
        fraction of the number of times I've read JRRT) and new at the
        same time.

        Of the two, I actually like "Road" better, but then the
        philological angle has always intrigued me.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2001
          sschaper@... writes:

          > Christianity

          A thought I had this week: Frodo is 33, when a hobbit comes of age, at the
          beginning of LOTR. At the end of 17 years he is "approaching 50" and begins
          his task.

          Jesus was 13 when he came of age in the Jewish law (12 in the only story of
          His childhood we have, Lk 2:41ff). At "about thirty years of age" ie after
          17 years, we are told He began His ministry (Lk 3:23). An interesting
          parallel!

          Mary S