"Frodo Saved My Life"

  • Steve Dufour
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2001
      "Frodo saved My Life"

      by Molly Denton

      You may find it strange to hear me say that the story
      of Frodo's quest saved my life, but it indeed did last
      week, and I'll tell you how:

      I have a disease called lupus that has caused me
      many a problem in the time that I have had it. I am
      only 21 years old but have had many complications,
      some life threatening, others only painful. As a
      result of a pulmonary embolism I had several years
      ago, I was on coumadin, a blood thinner, and was
      taking this medication regularly. I was unaware that
      my blood had become dangerously thin and that I did
      not have enough blood in my body to sustain my life
      for very much longer. I had lost a lot of blood and as
      a result of a miscommunication with my doctor she was
      unaware of the amount of blood I had lost through a
      hemmorhage. She told me to stop taking the blood
      thinner, assuming that my blood would simply go back
      to normal and that I would be fine. I began feeling
      worse and worse, and as the level of blood decreased
      in my body, I became unable to walk or even move
      without extreme pain, and getting up or moving to the
      bathroom would result in my face turning deathly pale
      and all color draining from my face and lips.

      My doctor finally called me and said it was
      imperative that I go to the emergency room. I needed
      blood transfusions in order to survive. But my body
      told me to simply lay down and rest. I was so weary. I
      thought about Frodo and how tired he must have been
      after being wounded by the black rider on his way to
      the house of Elrond. I knew if I gave up and went to
      sleep I would die; I needed strength to go. But I felt
      I had a mission and that I could not give up life so
      easily. I told my husband I would go because Frodo
      didn't give up. I don't think he understood but he
      helped me get to the hospital although each step of
      the way was filled with pain.

      I felt like I came through a black shadow last week
      and am still healing. I receieved 4 transfusions back
      to back which saved my life, but without the story of
      Lord of the Rings to push me on I might have just
      decided to give up and sleep, as my body was telling
      me to.

      from http://www.theonering.net

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
        Let me ask a couple of dumb questions which arose out of the Mythcon
        panel/interview with Philippa Boyens. I know some of you have been following
        this much more closely than I.

        They are being very cagey about the role of Arwen. It was popularly reported
        that she gets more "action" by being the one who rides down from Rivendell to
        help scatter the Black Riders - instead of Glorfindel. Is this a pretty
        well-established fact? Or a canard? It's a decision I can certainly see a
        screenwriter making.

        Boyens felt that it was a wonderful stroke of fate, or luck, that Viggo
        Mortensen got the role of Aragorn; the implication was that the first actor
        they sought couldn't take the part, or had to relinquish it. Is this true,
        and if so, who was it?

        I have to say Mortensen in the trailers looks extremely close to "my"
        Aragorn... but Blanchett's Galadriel... NO.

        I'd been nervous about the shrinking-hobbits effects technique, but the shot
        in the trailer where the Company goes through the snowy rocks of the pass was
        wonderful: Dwarf, Hobbits, Elves and Men - it looked real, and seamless.

        Mary S
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
          > They are being very cagey about the role of Arwen. It was
          > popularly reported that she gets more "action" by being the one who
          > rides down from Rivendell to help scatter the Black Riders -
          > instead of Glorfindel. Is this a pretty well-established fact? Or
          > a canard? It's a decision I can certainly see a screenwriter
          > making.

          You have to keep in mind that the people who actually know what the
          movie plots are have NOT been talking, except (I believe) in a couple
          of rare cases where they have been carefully feeding disinformation
          to fan sites (in some cases with the understanding of the fan site
          operators that the information being supplied to them MAY include
          some red herrings).

          Also, some of the rumors that have been published derive from wild
          speculations which arose in the wake of reviews of the first (two-
          film) script that Peter Jackson had written for the Miramax movies,
          and after the release/reviews of audition scripts which covered some
          very non-canonical scenes and character interactions.

          In other words, people (some on the inside) have been making up facts
          as we all go along, and the waters have been thoroughly tromped and
          muddied.

          If you want to see a concise list of all the known or alleged
          deviations from the books, Tolkien Online has given Ancalagon the
          Black's "Complete List of Film Changes" document a permanent home at:

          http://www2.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_index.cfm

          Ancalagon does, in my opinion, give way too much weight to the two-
          film/Miramax scripts, but in a few more months we'll get to see what
          the first movie is really like. :)

          As far as Arwen's role goes, that has reportedly be changed during
          the process of the film-making TWICE now, and it's quite possible
          that fannish reaction had some part in that decision (although I hope
          not). There have been reports that Peter Jackson was not satisfied
          with Liv Tyler's action acting, so he focused on her ability as a
          character actress and he beefed up the relationship. So the spy
          reports say.

          The whole Arwen-with-a-sword thing was always overplayed by the
          media, however (she never was supposed to have a major role in the
          movies) and fan sites that allowed the wailing and moaning to go on
          month-after-month only made matters worse. I mean, even when it was
          first reported that the role had been changed (sometime early last
          summer), many fans continued to complain loudly and often about
          warrior Arwen. It took months for word to spread that the sword-
          wielding had been de-emphasized.

          Now it has only within the last month or so come out that her role
          may have been changed again. Liv Tyler returned to New Zealand for
          the looping (re-recording of her dialogue) which had long been
          anticipated, but apparently also engaged in a couple of weeks of
          filming new footage. Other principal actors were also retained for
          some extra footage.

          Now, DOES ARWEN RIDE OUT FROM RIVENDELL? Such footage was shot,
          yes. And some of the officially released publicity pictures show
          Arwen carrying Frodo toward Rivendell with the Nazgul in pursuit.
          For a long time fans believed (without any confirmation or denial
          from the film set) that Glorfindel's role had been co-opted by
          Arwen. Now, however, recent spy reports indicate that Glorfindel may
          still meet Aragorn and the Hobbits on the road. (In the book, he
          does tell them that other -- unnamed -- members of the Rivendell
          community had been sent out, so there is some room for arguing if
          people want to argue over the appropriateness of Arwen's going out.)

          Will these scenes be in the movie? Wait and see. My guess is that
          they will be there.

          Will the Arwen-in-Rohan scenes make it into "The Two Towers"? My
          guess is they will not. But Peter Jackson still has plenty of time
          to decide what to do about "The Two Towers", even though I think a
          first cut has already been made.

          I, personally, look forward to Liv Tyler's portrayal of Arwen. But
          then, I'm a Liv fan. So sue me. :)
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
            LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????

            Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)

            As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she said it was a
            lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?

            I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a big relief
            to me.

            Mary S
          • Michael Martinez
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
              --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
              > LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????
              >
              > Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)
              >
              > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she
              said it was a
              > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
              >
              > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a
              big relief
              > to me.

              By all accounts, Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
              Aragorn. He even slept in a tent, took his sword home with him
              (apparently the only actor to do so), and became so attached to his
              horse that he purchased it when filming was complete.

              Based on the clips I have seen, Viggo's performance should be a
              winning one.

              I think the casting is pretty much on the money. Some of the
              depictions are too medieval or RPGish, but only a real nit-picker
              would care and I doubt even I will be doing too much nit-picking. It
              should be a grand movie-going experience for anyone who has read the
              book.

              Eventually, someone else will do the movies again, and their
              adaptation will be rebuked, criticized, flamed, clawed, shredded, and
              rumored to death before the ink has even dried on the financial
              contracts. That's life.
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
                michael@... writes:

                > Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
                > Aragorn.

                OK, but my sense of her words was that somebody else was originally lined up
                for the part, and I wondered who?

                Diamond Proudbrook