FIRST RINGS IN HOME STRETCH

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 6, 2001
      FIRST RINGS IN HOME STRETCH

      Post-production is entering the home stretch on the first of Peter
      Jackson's
      three Lord of the Rings films, associate producer Rick Porras told the
      E!
      Online Web site. "We're in 'finishing film one' mode, with about 20
      percent
      of the post-production process left," Porras told the site. "The final
      visual effects are coming in, and we're putting on the final layers."

      Porras said that New Line executives have already screened a rough cut.
      "We're getting the studio's comments and continuing to make it better,"
      he
      said. But, he added, the studio won't preview the film before its Dec.
      19
      release. "We aren't previewing in the traditional route," he said.
      "Considering the amount of interest in the films, I'm glad we're not.
      This
      way, there's less chance of people finding out details in advance and
      releasing clips on the 'Net."

      Cast and crew members in New Zealand are completing the dialogue
      re-recording, and Canadian composer Howard Shore (The Cell) is writing
      the
      score. "We'll be showing [Shore] the whole film on this trip to L.A.,"
      Porras said. Shore will spend August and September recording with the
      London
      Philharmonic Orchestra.

      Post-production work has also begun on the remaining two films in the
      trilogy. "Film two is moving along nicely," Porras said. "Film three is
      third up, so it's less of an issue right now, but again, there's a lot
      of
      overlap with effects and editing."
    • Steve Dufour
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 6, 2001
        "Frodo saved My Life"

        by Molly Denton

        You may find it strange to hear me say that the story
        of Frodo's quest saved my life, but it indeed did last
        week, and I'll tell you how:

        I have a disease called lupus that has caused me
        many a problem in the time that I have had it. I am
        only 21 years old but have had many complications,
        some life threatening, others only painful. As a
        result of a pulmonary embolism I had several years
        ago, I was on coumadin, a blood thinner, and was
        taking this medication regularly. I was unaware that
        my blood had become dangerously thin and that I did
        not have enough blood in my body to sustain my life
        for very much longer. I had lost a lot of blood and as
        a result of a miscommunication with my doctor she was
        unaware of the amount of blood I had lost through a
        hemmorhage. She told me to stop taking the blood
        thinner, assuming that my blood would simply go back
        to normal and that I would be fine. I began feeling
        worse and worse, and as the level of blood decreased
        in my body, I became unable to walk or even move
        without extreme pain, and getting up or moving to the
        bathroom would result in my face turning deathly pale
        and all color draining from my face and lips.

        My doctor finally called me and said it was
        imperative that I go to the emergency room. I needed
        blood transfusions in order to survive. But my body
        told me to simply lay down and rest. I was so weary. I
        thought about Frodo and how tired he must have been
        after being wounded by the black rider on his way to
        the house of Elrond. I knew if I gave up and went to
        sleep I would die; I needed strength to go. But I felt
        I had a mission and that I could not give up life so
        easily. I told my husband I would go because Frodo
        didn't give up. I don't think he understood but he
        helped me get to the hospital although each step of
        the way was filled with pain.

        I felt like I came through a black shadow last week
        and am still healing. I receieved 4 transfusions back
        to back which saved my life, but without the story of
        Lord of the Rings to push me on I might have just
        decided to give up and sleep, as my body was telling
        me to.

        from http://www.theonering.net

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2001
          Let me ask a couple of dumb questions which arose out of the Mythcon
          panel/interview with Philippa Boyens. I know some of you have been following
          this much more closely than I.

          They are being very cagey about the role of Arwen. It was popularly reported
          that she gets more "action" by being the one who rides down from Rivendell to
          help scatter the Black Riders - instead of Glorfindel. Is this a pretty
          well-established fact? Or a canard? It's a decision I can certainly see a
          screenwriter making.

          Boyens felt that it was a wonderful stroke of fate, or luck, that Viggo
          Mortensen got the role of Aragorn; the implication was that the first actor
          they sought couldn't take the part, or had to relinquish it. Is this true,
          and if so, who was it?

          I have to say Mortensen in the trailers looks extremely close to "my"
          Aragorn... but Blanchett's Galadriel... NO.

          I'd been nervous about the shrinking-hobbits effects technique, but the shot
          in the trailer where the Company goes through the snowy rocks of the pass was
          wonderful: Dwarf, Hobbits, Elves and Men - it looked real, and seamless.

          Mary S
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
            > They are being very cagey about the role of Arwen. It was
            > popularly reported that she gets more "action" by being the one who
            > rides down from Rivendell to help scatter the Black Riders -
            > instead of Glorfindel. Is this a pretty well-established fact? Or
            > a canard? It's a decision I can certainly see a screenwriter
            > making.

            You have to keep in mind that the people who actually know what the
            movie plots are have NOT been talking, except (I believe) in a couple
            of rare cases where they have been carefully feeding disinformation
            to fan sites (in some cases with the understanding of the fan site
            operators that the information being supplied to them MAY include
            some red herrings).

            Also, some of the rumors that have been published derive from wild
            speculations which arose in the wake of reviews of the first (two-
            film) script that Peter Jackson had written for the Miramax movies,
            and after the release/reviews of audition scripts which covered some
            very non-canonical scenes and character interactions.

            In other words, people (some on the inside) have been making up facts
            as we all go along, and the waters have been thoroughly tromped and
            muddied.

            If you want to see a concise list of all the known or alleged
            deviations from the books, Tolkien Online has given Ancalagon the
            Black's "Complete List of Film Changes" document a permanent home at:

            http://www2.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_index.cfm

            Ancalagon does, in my opinion, give way too much weight to the two-
            film/Miramax scripts, but in a few more months we'll get to see what
            the first movie is really like. :)

            As far as Arwen's role goes, that has reportedly be changed during
            the process of the film-making TWICE now, and it's quite possible
            that fannish reaction had some part in that decision (although I hope
            not). There have been reports that Peter Jackson was not satisfied
            with Liv Tyler's action acting, so he focused on her ability as a
            character actress and he beefed up the relationship. So the spy
            reports say.

            The whole Arwen-with-a-sword thing was always overplayed by the
            media, however (she never was supposed to have a major role in the
            movies) and fan sites that allowed the wailing and moaning to go on
            month-after-month only made matters worse. I mean, even when it was
            first reported that the role had been changed (sometime early last
            summer), many fans continued to complain loudly and often about
            warrior Arwen. It took months for word to spread that the sword-
            wielding had been de-emphasized.

            Now it has only within the last month or so come out that her role
            may have been changed again. Liv Tyler returned to New Zealand for
            the looping (re-recording of her dialogue) which had long been
            anticipated, but apparently also engaged in a couple of weeks of
            filming new footage. Other principal actors were also retained for
            some extra footage.

            Now, DOES ARWEN RIDE OUT FROM RIVENDELL? Such footage was shot,
            yes. And some of the officially released publicity pictures show
            Arwen carrying Frodo toward Rivendell with the Nazgul in pursuit.
            For a long time fans believed (without any confirmation or denial
            from the film set) that Glorfindel's role had been co-opted by
            Arwen. Now, however, recent spy reports indicate that Glorfindel may
            still meet Aragorn and the Hobbits on the road. (In the book, he
            does tell them that other -- unnamed -- members of the Rivendell
            community had been sent out, so there is some room for arguing if
            people want to argue over the appropriateness of Arwen's going out.)

            Will these scenes be in the movie? Wait and see. My guess is that
            they will be there.

            Will the Arwen-in-Rohan scenes make it into "The Two Towers"? My
            guess is they will not. But Peter Jackson still has plenty of time
            to decide what to do about "The Two Towers", even though I think a
            first cut has already been made.

            I, personally, look forward to Liv Tyler's portrayal of Arwen. But
            then, I'm a Liv fan. So sue me. :)
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
              LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????

              Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)

              As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she said it was a
              lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?

              I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a big relief
              to me.

              Mary S
            • Michael Martinez
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
                --- In mythsoc@y..., Stolzi@a... wrote:
                > LURTZ !!!!!!!!>!???????????
                >
                > Ah well, thank you, Michael. (Sigh)
                >
                > As to my other question, anyone know what Boyens meant when she
                said it was a
                > lucky stroke that Viggo Mortensen came to be cast as Aragorn?
                >
                > I haven't seen his acting, of course, but he LOOKS so right... a
                big relief
                > to me.

                By all accounts, Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
                Aragorn. He even slept in a tent, took his sword home with him
                (apparently the only actor to do so), and became so attached to his
                horse that he purchased it when filming was complete.

                Based on the clips I have seen, Viggo's performance should be a
                winning one.

                I think the casting is pretty much on the money. Some of the
                depictions are too medieval or RPGish, but only a real nit-picker
                would care and I doubt even I will be doing too much nit-picking. It
                should be a grand movie-going experience for anyone who has read the
                book.

                Eventually, someone else will do the movies again, and their
                adaptation will be rebuked, criticized, flamed, clawed, shredded, and
                rumored to death before the ink has even dried on the financial
                contracts. That's life.
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2001
                  michael@... writes:

                  > Viggo Mortensen did everything possible to become
                  > Aragorn.

                  OK, but my sense of her words was that somebody else was originally lined up
                  for the part, and I wondered who?

                  Diamond Proudbrook