Poul Anderson

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 12:44 PM
      I've received confirmation: Poul Anderson, previously reported as very ill,
      died about midnight last night. Friends and family were present.

      This is very sad news, for me and for the Mythopoeic Society no less than
      for others.

      Poul Anderson was the first professional author I ever met, along about 25
      years ago, and he was one of my favorite fantasy/sf authors even then. He
      should be long-remembered for stories like _The Broken Sword_, _Three
      Hearts and Three Lions_, and especially "The Queen of Air and Darkness"
      (technically sf, it has a characteristic air of fantasy, and explores the
      nature of mythopoeia and its relation to reality as well as any fiction I
      know).

      He was Guest of Honor at the 1972 Mythcon, and his novel _A Midsummer
      Tempest_ (a delightful updating of Shakespeare) won the Mythopoeic Fantasy
      Award in 1975. Two others of his novels, _Dancer from Atlantis_ and _Hrolf
      Kraki's Saga_, were finalists.

      I'm planning to schedule a memorial reading/discussion of his works at
      Mythcon next weekend, and I don't doubt his presence will be felt at the
      Bardic Circle. I'll be bringing along copies of some of his fantasy books,
      and I think I can dig out a couple of his songs. Others might have more.
      Bring what you can.

      David Bratman