re: Poul Anderson is in Grave Condition

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2001
      This is the latest from Greg Bear.

      Sender: Science Fiction and Fantasy Listserv <SF-LIT@...>
      From: MWSatlin@...
      Subject: Re: Poul Anderson gravely ill
      Comments: To: SF-LIT@..., oww-sff-chat@yahoogroups.com
      To: SF-LIT@...

      This came to the RFF list from Greg Bear, one of RFF's founders
      and Poul
      Anderson's son-in-law.
      <<
      Poul Anderson has left Alta Bates hospital in Berkeley and is in
      hospice
      care at the Anderson home in Orinda. His daughter Astrid, his
      brother John
      and his niece Janet are flying in today to be with him. When I
      spoke with
      Poul the day before yesterday, he was weak but lucid; both Poul
      and Karen
      welcome email messages. Their email is trigonier@...

      Karen has supported Poul with courage and creativity during his
      month-long
      stay at Alta Bates. She has prepared meals of many small and
      tasty morsels
      that would tempt him when he was not inclined to eat; she has
      tuned her
      menus to his dietary restrictions, and provided constant
      companionship and
      relief from the discomfort and strain of hospitalization. Poul,
      not
      unexpectedly, has shown courage in the face of what was not, at
      the
      beginning, inevitable, but extremely difficult. Now the
      inevitable has
      arrived, and it is likely a matter of days.

      My own loss is made difficult by the fact that I cannot be with
      them at this
      time, and that I stand to lose not just a grand father in law,
      but one of my
      favorite writers. Both Poul and Karen have provided immense
      inspiration over
      the decades to me and to hundreds of thousands, perhaps
      millions, of others.
      Please pass this letter to others not on the list, who might
      wish to express
      their love and appreciation.

      Greg Bear