Tolkien fans in Kazakhstan

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31 3:45 PM
      From another list...

      > I caught the last few minutes of the BBC World Service this morning, and
      > deeply regret having come in at the very end of a report about the
      > anti-Tolkien police in Kazakhstan.
      >
      > The police, from what I heard, are deeply suspicious of the Tolkienites -
      > most police are devout Muslims - and have been harassing the youngsters.
      > As I wrote, I just tuned in the very end of the report, so I didn't hear the
      > details of the police crack-down!
    • Steve Dufour
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31 6:15 PM
        Here's a link to an online story.
        http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia_china/story.jsp?story=85886
        I also had the feeling that this was somewhat ethnic,
        with the Tolkien fans being Russian. -Steve ---
        Stolzi@... wrote: > From another list... > > > I

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31 8:13 PM
          And in further news, police in Berkeley, California are preparing for clashes
          with a group of "Tolkienists" who will be meeting this weekend on the campus
          of the University of California. See the following news story:

          http://www.bogusnews.com/its.just.a.joke/you.fool

          Two paragraphs from the article:

          I. M. Maydup, head of the Berkeley police department announced, "These
          degenerates, members of an underground group called the Miss OP-ic Society,
          are planning to hold some sort of disgusting ceremony called Miss Gone. At
          least, we think that's what it's called. We can't be sure because the one
          member of this gang of subversives who survived our beatings long enough to
          give us some information started lisping every time we asked him about it."

          When asked if the police will be able to arrest all the members of this
          group, Chief Maydup replied, "It shouldn't be any problem. These people
          don't have the sense to keep a low profile. Saturday morning they plan to
          hold some sort of public rally where they'll actually parade around the
          campus flaunting their sick desires. They'll even be carrying banners."