Re: [mythsoc] Magic in M.e.

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2001
      In a message dated 7/29/1 10:15:24 PM, tRudy Shaw wrote:

      <<I'm not sure we Catholics have a lock on sacramental spirituality
      (Anglicans and Lutherans, at least, use the term,>>

      And let's not leave out all of the Eastern Churches!!

      <<--I think Ginger and Michael are using "incarnation of God" in two
      different senses, in that Ginger is speaking of a more general presence of
      God in the physical reality of creation, and Michael of the very specific
      "Incarnation" (with a capital "I") of God becoming human in the person of
      Jesus. (Let me know if I've misinterpreted.) It's this second meaning that
      Tolkien would be referring to when he says there is none in his mythology
      because it's set before the time of Christ.>>

      I think the word you actually want for the first meaning is "immanence" --
      "incarnation" implies actually putting on flesh.
      Alexei