Tour Picturesque Middle-Earth

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 15 6:56 PM
      Mary wrote:

      >> Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
      >> stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
      >>
      >> Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
      >> weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
      >> Rivendell.

      Rivendell. I'm not an "outdoors" person.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 15 8:45 PM
        In a message dated 7/15/99 3:26:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
        lisa@... writes:

        > Cute Mary.

        Thanks, Lisa. Others? I should have said, "you can win a chance in the
        Lottery..."

        The idea came to me as I am re-reading LOTR, so far only in Vol I: I enjoyed
        coming to Rivendell so much, but remembered that Lothlorien too has its call
        and its appeal... I wondered which people would prefer.

        The rule that you can't have both is just a piece of evil TORRRTURRRRRE <eg>
      • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15 9:02 PM
          Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.

          Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
          had better speak up!

          David Bratman
        • David Lenander
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15 10:00 PM
            Well, I put "To live in Caras Galadon" (is that how it's spelled? I probably
            knew then) as my "Ambition" for the high school year book. But I've never felt
            ready, yet, for that, somehow. I think Rivendell seems a lot easier to take, we
            aren't really ready for Lothlorien, it's more rarified, heavenly, otherworldly
            and also perilous, I think. Elrond's House is the Last Homely House,
            Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I think.

            Of course, I already live in Rivendell....

            I'm not sure that Rivendell can really boast "more music," or even, necessarily,
            "better food." But David's "More books" is pretty persuasive. Of course,
            Lothlorien is a lot closer to Fangorn, and I'd really like to visit there, as
            well....

            If anyone is going to Lothlorien because he has the "hots for Galadriel" I'd
            advise that he NOT "speak up," and probably Rivendell would be a much safer
            destination.

            Responding to the message of <199907160420.EAA17707@...>
            from mythsoc@onelist.com:

            > From: d.bratman@...
            >
            > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
            >
            > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
            > had better speak up!
            >
            > David Bratman

            > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
            > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
            > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

            > .

            David Lenander
            293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
            St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
            fax: (612)626-2454
            e-mail: d-lena@...

            Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
            http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
          • Diane Baker
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 16 1:26 AM
              Rivendell for me, too, for the reasons Lisa named. I definitely do not
              have the hots for Galadriel. Now, Celeborn, or Aragorn.....

              d.bratman@... wrote:

              > From: d.bratman@...
              >
              > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
              >
              > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
              > had better speak up!
              >
              > David Bratman

              > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
              > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
              > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

            • Matthew Winslow
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16 9:51 AM
                David Bratman [d.bratman@...] wrote:
                > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
                >
                > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
                > had better speak up!

                Well, gee, David, nothing like stacking the deck. Having the hots for
                Galadriel is the only reason for liking Lothlorien?? Hmmm, let's psychoanalyze
                that response... <g>

                As for me, I'd quickly choose Lothlorien over Rivendell if not for one reason:
                books! So, it's Rivendell for me.

                "It's a poor story that becomes less interesting the more attention one
                gives to it, and a poor reader who insists that reading a good story with
                attention is leff fulfilling than reading it superficially."
                --Kevin Maroney
                Currently reading: A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor
              • Paul F. Labaki
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16 9:54 AM
                  That's me. Just breathing the air in Lothlorien is a turn on. Rivendell is
                  closer to our experiences and therefore, perhaps, more welcoming, comforting
                  and generally desireable. The beauty and mystery of Lorien is foriegn and
                  more daunting. We may not be as welcome there as in Rivendell, but if I
                  could choose only one, I would stand with Gimli, axe at the ready!
                  --
                  Paul Labaki

                  ----------

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16 3:52 PM
                    In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    d-lena@... writes:

                    > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
                    think.

                    This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
                    Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
                    Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
                    paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
                    turning of its leaves.

                    But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
                    ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
                    water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!

                    I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
                    house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
                    he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
                    smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.

                    Mary S
                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16 7:29 PM
                      Oh, definitely Rivendell. After all, my husband will be there. (I
                      almost typed "Riverdale," where Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead
                      live. Then I had an image of Archie and company in Rivendell. Ya know,
                      they could be hobbits. I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.
                      But I digress.) As my esteemed spouse said, Rivendell has more books,
                      and I feel, somehow, that it's closer to home.

                      Berni
                    • Eleanor Farrell
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 17 7:37 AM
                        >From: Stolzi@...
                        >
                        >Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
                        >stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
                        >
                        >Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
                        >weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
                        >Rivendell.
                        >
                        >Splitting your time is not allowed. To qualify, please submit your choice
                        >between these two and briefly give reasons for your preference.
                        >
                        >Dunedain Travel Bureau

                        I'd have to take Lothlorien..... you'll all know why when you see this
                        year's Not-Ready-for-Mythcon Players' production at BreeMoot 4/Mythcon XXX.

                        Ellie

                        Eleanor M. Farrell
                        emfarrell@...
                        Celluloid Wrappers: Costume in the Movies
                        http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/heat/218/
                      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 17 2:51 PM
                          In a message dated 7/16/99 9:27:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          bernip@... writes:

                          > Rivendell has more books,

                          People keep saying this; where's their proof? Caras Galadon is a big place,
                          after all.

                          Anyway, Lothlorien is tucked away out of time, so those of us who go there
                          will get more for our two weeks :P

                          Mary S
                        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 17 5:12 PM
                            bernip@... writes:

                            > I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.

                            Me, I've been thinking of esteemed hobbits with names like Groucho, and
                            Harpo, and Zeppo, and Chico Baggins. (But that was probably done? in the
                            old Harvard parody?)

                            Who else could be on the Ring journey with them... besides thin, elfin Stan
                            Laurel-las, accompanied by Oli Verhardi the doughty Dwarf??
                          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 19 7:47 AM
                              In a message dated 7/19/99 7:02:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                              dianejoy@... writes:

                              > Would
                              > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                              > "homely places." ---djb.

                              Oh well but =of course=!
                            • Diane Baker
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 19 7:48 AM
                                Stolzi@... wrote:

                                > From: Stolzi@...
                                >
                                > In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                > d-lena@... writes:
                                >
                                > > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
                                > think.
                                > >

                                > This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
                                > Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
                                > Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
                                > paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
                                > turning of its leaves.
                                >
                                > But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
                                > ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
                                > water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!
                                >
                                > I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
                                > house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
                                > he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
                                > smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.
                                >
                                > Mary S

                                The two places are the hardest of choices; I would love to see those
                                trees in bloom, meet the great Lady Galadriel and experience that
                                incredible holiness. But Rivendell is so welcome and so familiar (esp.
                                in contrast to the events which came before Rivendell). The books, the
                                stories, the companionship, (and yes, the food!) all attract me. Would
                                anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                "homely places." ---djb.
                              • Matthew Heffron
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 20 9:15 PM
                                  dianejoy@... writes:

                                  > Would
                                  > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                  > "homely places." ---djb.

                                  Oh well but =of course=!

                                  I feel guily to continue this, but I for one would need to visit Gondor. I'd
                                  also want to get to the Lonely Mt.

                                  Matt