_Vinyar Tengwar_ 42

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2001
      _Vinyar Tengwar_ 42 has been published.

      This 40-page issue features several items from Tolkien's linguistic papers:

      o _The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor_ is a late (1969)
      etymological, geographical, and historical essay on the names of the
      rivers and beacon-hills of Gondor. Portions of this essay were
      excerpted in _Unfinished Tales_, but the bulk of it remained
      unpublished until now. The essay also features much that will be of
      particular interest to students of Tolkien's invented languages,
      including a lengthy discussion of Eldarin numerals.
      o "Negation in Quenya" by Bill Welden is an instructive and
      illuminating survey of Tolkien's writings (published and unpublished)
      concerning the shifting means of expressing negation in Quenya.

      In addition, Arden Smith's popular column "Transitions in
      Translations" returns with a look at how the Icelandic translator of
      _The Lord of the Rings_ has dealt with nomenclature, among other
      topics.

      For more information on _Vinyar Tengwar_, see:

      http://www.elvish.org/VT/

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |